How do you grow a gaming YouTube channel with no commentary?

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
I've started a gaming YouTube channel in 2013 and created a new one last December.
I don't do commentary on my gaming YouTube channel.

I've seen many other YouTube gaming channels without commentary and I know they've been doing this way before me. That's one of the reasons I started a gaming YouTube channel; playing video games without commentary and having fun. They have many subscribers and I'm sure they deserve it.

My question is, how do you grow a gaming YouTube channel with no commentary?
Since there is no commentary, how does one grow without the personality of a regular gaming YouTube commentator?

It can be challenging to get my videos promoted to the first page since I don't have much views, even with the right tags.

Yuci YZ

Rising User
Mar 9, 2016
YouTube
I've started a gaming YouTube channel in 2013 and created a new one last December.

I've seen many other YouTube gaming channels without commentary and I know they've been doing this way before me. That's one of the reasons I started a gaming YouTube channel; playing video games without commentary and having fun. They have many subscribers and I'm sure they deserve it.

Since there is no commentary, how does one grow without the personality of a regular gaming YouTube commentator?

It can be challenging to get my videos promoted to the first page since I don't have much views, even with the right tags.
Maybe Like add music to your videos, and make sure your gameplay is interesting for people to watch, and always listen to your viewers suggestions. xD I use to make gaming vids with no commentary, but it is better with commentary because you can then interact with your viewers :)
Good Luck! Hope you grow xD

Mr Wooff

Freedom! Member
Nov 7, 2014
YouTube
jamestron360
You do have some valid points but here are some extra points to get you on your way :)

1. Commentary - now yes I know you already said commentary but just adding commentary dosent do as much as you think. Its best to have topics to talk about in the video so when you have nothing to talk about in game you have topics to talk about. Also trying to talk all the time can help depending on the game and subject. If your alone and playing game its best to be quick and right to the chase because people tend to have short attention spams but if you with a group, well it can work out a lot better. Also put some exspresion in to your voice.
  2. Webcam+Overlay - now with a gaming channel a webcam can be visual atractive and something else to look at. In some wierd way it makes the recording more fun to watch but don't just sit there try and give a few hang gestures and show good body language ingage your audience
  3. Colabing - gaming is the best for colabing because you can just do it unlike vloggers who have to meet up in real life to actualy colab but I think we all already know what colabing can do for you :)
Again there are a lot more but I though I help you on your way and who knows maybe you could me some constructive critism and we can help each other but thats up to you :)

Reactions: Einstein Gamin

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
Maybe Like add music to your videos, and make sure your gameplay is interesting for people to watch, and always listen to your viewers suggestions. xD I use to make gaming vids with no commentary, but it is better with commentary because you can then interact with your viewers :)
Good Luck! Hope you grow xD

I see and thank you for the advice.
I'll keep those in mind. :)

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
You do have some valid points but here are some extra points to get you on your way :)

1. Commentary - now yes I know you already said commentary but just adding commentary dosent do as much as you think. Its best to have topics to talk about in the video so when you have nothing to talk about in game you have topics to talk about. Also trying to talk all the time can help depending on the game and subject. If your alone and playing game its best to be quick and right to the chase because people tend to have short attention spams but if you with a group, well it can work out a lot better. Also put some exspresion in to your voice.
  2. Webcam+Overlay - now with a gaming channel a webcam can be visual atractive and something else to look at. In some wierd way it makes the recording more fun to watch but don't just sit there try and give a few hang gestures and show good body language ingage your audience
  3. Colabing - gaming is the best for colabing because you can just do it unlike vloggers who have to meet up in real life to actualy colab but I think we all already know what colabing can do for you :)
Again there are a lot more but I though I help you on your way and who knows maybe you could me some constructive critism and we can help each other but thats up to you :)

Those are good points and helpful. Thank you.
It would be nice to collaborate with others to help one another grow.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to give constructive feedback.

Mr Wooff

Freedom! Member
Nov 7, 2014
YouTube
jamestron360
I'm sorry but unless you can play any instruments what is not drums or ukulele then we can't :( I don't upload gaming content anymore but I'm great ful for the offer :)! I guess we could talk some time and I don't have any question at the moment but I will be sure to say If I do :)

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
I'm sorry but unless you can play any instruments what is not drums or ukulele then we can't :( I don't upload gaming content anymore but I'm great ful for the offer :)! I guess we could talk some time and I don't have any question at the moment but I will be sure to say If I do :)

It's all good, no worries.
I see and thank you for letting me know.

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube

You need to show off something different, maybe compile montages to get people interested? There are a lot of gameplay videos for youtube, and you need to figure out a way to be unique. Some people show off the entire movie cut-scenes for the game. If you manage to put together the best parts, I'm sure you can get more of a ball rolling ^^

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Given that you are a playthrough/Let's Play channel by the looks of it, growing is going to be extremely difficult since personality is king in growing those kinds of gaming channels.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
You're going to need some very exciting gameplay to keep people interested. As @fattmat mentioned, try to be unique and offer something viewers can stay interested in. After that, it's all about socializing and getting your name out there. Collaborations are great, and social media and forums really help get your name out

RewindThatGaming

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ashland, PA
YouTube
I do agreed with fattmat and Goped Fred say comment back to you viewers/subs it will help you because they will feel you listen to them and reply back. You need do something different because if you do something same thing as everyone is doing people mostly likely leave you video and never come back. Try have best content you can have also with visual and good audio from the game. And hope you make it far on youtube in the future !!

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
You're going to need some very exciting gameplay to keep people interested. As @fattmat mentioned, try to be unique and offer something viewers can stay interested in. After that, it's all about socializing and getting your name out there. Collaborations are great, and social media and forums really help get your name out
Testing out new styles is great, and they need to stand out in some way, otherwise they'll find someone else that will do that for them.
I do agreed with fattmat and Goped Fred say comment back to you viewers/subs it will help you because they will feel you listen to them and reply back. You need do something different because if you do something same thing as everyone is doing people mostly likely leave you video and never come back. Try have best content you can have also with visual and good audio from the game. And hope you make it far on youtube in the future !!
I feel like making a modified version of a let's play is plausible, but it will take effort. People come for a specific reason, figuring out why is the hard part, but you'll go a lot farther when you figure it out ^^

chronotrigger1985

let's player
Freedom! Member
Jul 18, 2014
YouTube

Unless u can show gameplay that has never been seen, no commentary will not get u anywhere. I started like that long ago and every video was 0 views. most people watch gaming now for the personality of the people playing. even if u r not the most interesting person, it's better than nothing.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
You need to show off something different, maybe compile montages to get people interested? There are a lot of gameplay videos for youtube, and you need to figure out a way to be unique. Some people show off the entire movie cut-scenes for the game. If you manage to put together the best parts, I'm sure you can get more of a ball rolling ^^

Thank you for the advice.
I'll consider those.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
Unless u can show gameplay that has never been seen, no commentary will not get u anywhere. I started like that long ago and every video was 0 views. most people watch gaming now for the personality of the people playing. even if u r not the most interesting person, it's better than nothing.

I thought about commentary, but I don't think my voice would attract people and I think it would lead to negative comments.

Last edited:

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
The key to a lets play channel is speed... because you arnt doing commentary or editing you can crank out gameplay faster than anyone else. Which is your ultimate goal. The other key is finding games that dont already have people making videos about them. The problem is the games that work best are crappy expensive games that no one wants to buy.

Deveton Boakye

New User
Apr 5, 2016

I think posting popular and high quality videos, can u check out my channe..its called TGXGaming

Deveton Boakye

New User
Apr 5, 2016
Testing out new styles is great, and they need to stand out in some way, otherwise they'll find someone else that will do that for them.

I feel like making a modified version of a let's play is plausible, but it will take effort. People come for a specific reason, figuring out why is the hard part, but you'll go a lot farther when you figure it out ^^
Yh