YouTube Could your Gaming content face demonetization?

U

User.123120

Could your Gaming content face demonetization?
Quote of the Thread: Tis but a scratch!

Hello, all!

So a few days ago Youtube announced their new Advertiser Guidelines, which I actually made a post about, you can find that here. Where I was talking about and how the advertisers are slowly coming back into the youtube advertising program! But for gamers, this could now change up the game a bit.

So for all the gaming channels that upload and create content based on the theme of let's plays and live streams, you are not to worry nothing should change on that, but for people that like to upload Call of Duty, Battlefield or Halo montages they could face the chance of losing their monetization on the video upload!

A lot of the confusion that stems from the new guidelines are it doesn't give enough context on when something is to be used or not to be used, which can leave everyone in a very confusing state. The new guidelines are supposedly meant to help with this, the way Youtube answer this is;

"Violence in the normal course of video gameplay is generally acceptable for advertising, but montages, where gratuitous violence is the focal point, is not.”

It's quite a pain because Youtube loves our gaming videos, and can reward a gaming channel quite heavily, especially when the content contains a lot of watch time and audience interaction, this is what Youtube wants, ever since Youtube released Youtube Red they began to favor the algorithm of watch time and audience engagement.

With that being said it's already beginning to affect our own members of the FreedomFaimly, take Tom Cushnie for example. Tom uploads regular content of WWE 2K17 Universe Mode and WWE 2K17 My Career Mode gameplay series, he also brings you WWE Top 10 videos, WWE news and rumors, WWE RAW, SmackDown Live and PPV reviews, as well as other gaming videos!
With that being said, Tom has recently lost all of his monetization and you can not see any of his content at all in restricted mode, try it for yourself! Could this be the effect of "Violence" in a game?

Top of the picture, Tom's channel in default. Bottom, Tom's channel in Restricted Mode!

YouTube has no intentions of demonetizing streams or let's plays, and the company’s rep made that adamantly clear to everyone that the only type of video that could potentially suffer are montages of gratuitous violence and death.We are due to some more information on advertising policies to be released in the coming months.

What do you guys and gals think?
All the best, ItsJustJord!

D

Deleted member 17740

Personally, i'm a bit worried about the future of youtube, but i hope that all of this monetization stuff is cleared up :D

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
Let's players don't face as much penalty as those who make montages.

uberimmortalomen

Upload daily!
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2014
Illinois
YouTube
zehimmortalomen
I haven't checked my entire catalog but I do know of a couple of my gaming videos that have been demonitized(not that it matters) and one of them was minecraft oddly enough. It's whatever at this point. Lol

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Could your Gaming content face demonetization?
Quote of the Thread: Tis but a scratch!

Hello, all!

So a few days ago Youtube announced their new Advertiser Guidelines, which I actually made a post about, you can find that here. Where I was talking about and how the advertisers are slowly coming back into the youtube advertising program! But for gamers, this could now change up the game a bit.

So for all the gaming channels that upload and create content based on the theme of let's plays and live streams, you are not to worry nothing should change on that, but for people that like to upload Call of Duty, Battlefield or Halo montages they could face the chance of losing their monetization on the video upload!

A lot of the confusion that stems from the new guidelines are it doesn't give enough context on when something is to be used or not to be used, which can leave everyone in a very confusing state. The new guidelines are supposedly meant to help with this, the way Youtube answer this is;

"Violence in the normal course of video gameplay is generally acceptable for advertising, but montages, where gratuitous violence is the focal point, is not.”

It's quite a pain because Youtube loves our gaming videos, and can reward a gaming channel quite heavily, especially when the content contains a lot of watch time and audience interaction, this is what Youtube wants, ever since Youtube released Youtube Red they began to favor the algorithm of watch time and audience engagement.

With that being said it's already beginning to affect our own members of the FreedomFaimly, take Tom Cushnie for example. Tom uploads regular content of WWE 2K17 Universe Mode and WWE 2K17 My Career Mode gameplay series, he also brings you WWE Top 10 videos, WWE news and rumors, WWE RAW, SmackDown Live and PPV reviews, as well as other gaming videos!
With that being said, Tom has recently lost all of his monetization and you can not see any of his content at all in restricted mode, try it for yourself! Could this be the effect of "Violence" in a game?

Top of the picture, Tom's channel in default. Bottom, Tom's channel in Restricted Mode!

YouTube has no intentions of demonetizing streams or let's plays, and the company’s rep made that adamantly clear to everyone that the only type of video that could potentially suffer are montages of gratuitous violence and death.We are due to some more information on advertising policies to be released in the coming months.

What do you guys and gals think?
All the best, ItsJustJord!
Small as it may be but this sure will affect the Gaming Community. I have opened my own channel in restricted mode and noticed many video's don't show. If were talking about Doom then i can understand of course but still it is but a game.

Reactions: derwinvlog