YouTube Criticism on how I gain subscribers. How do I do it then?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I've gotten several comments saying stuff like, "I don't get how you don't have that many subscribers," and others say I should "get my channel out there". Because all I've done is upload videos, and wait for the subscribers to come to me. It took me almost 3 years to get 344 subscribers.

I've had a couple suggestions about getting shoutouts. How am I even supposed to do that? Asking for one would make me look as desperate as the people whose comments I've been deleting. I'm certainly not gonna fall for those stupid shoutout contest things, where they're clearly doing it more for their own benefit rather than yours. If you think I deserve a shoutout, give me a shoutout. But don't ask me to subscribe to bazillion channels just to get one.

I've gotten a comment about doing more music, which is difficult to make with what I use, or I could do remixes, which I don't know how to do. And they even told me that Markiplier and PewDiePie have been doing less Let's Plays and more vlogs, live action skits, etc. But I don't take interest in those videos. I don't even have anyone to make those kind of videos with.

I've also gotten a suggestion to do collaborations. First off, I don't know anybody to collaborate with. And second, even if I did, I don't know how to connect with them. Like, I don't know how to use Skype or whatever people use. And third, I don't even have any good multiplayer games to play. I'm rather bored of TF2, and I don't much like Murder Miners, and those are the only multiplayer games I have.

Then yesterday, I commented on someone's comment asking people to check out their channel. I told them about how I've been getting subscribers, and that I feel like self-advertising on other people's comment section is not the right way to do it. Then I got a reply saying to me, "The way you're doing it simply won't work." with the addition of, "Advertising is fine; it's the practical way of getting your channel to actually work while not having to rely on sheer luck."

So if advertising is fine, then how do I do that without getting the same kind of hate comments other people get? I don't know how much it costs to show a video ad, but I'm pretty sure I won't have enough.

Reactions: Creative Myth

Creative Myth

Respected User
Nov 5, 2016
YouTube
CreativeMyth
Let me start off saying that you have more subs than me so you don't have to take my advice. I personally believe commenting on others video to check out your channel doesn't work. I used to do it and realized the people who would sub still won't watch your videos. It's really all about views right. Now I know a YouTuber who got over 500k subs by doing a bunch of those gimmick shout outs, but you have to win a lot of them. Doing collabs is cool but if the person doesn't already have a ton of subs you'll get a little bit of new subs and viewers. No one can really say they have a general way to gain viewers and subs because people do it in different ways. I suggest using other social media to help get your content out there. It does help to make friends on YouTube. Do early videos on new trends or trending topics, if they fit your style of content. get well known into your type of community. I see you play L4D 2, join some L4D forums and talk to other YouTubers who play that game. And always try to improve your content. Like I said before you don't have to take my suggestion, but just do what you feel is worth doing.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Let me start off saying that you have more subs than me so you don't have to take my advice. I personally believe commenting on others video to check out your channel doesn't work. I used to do it and realized the people who would sub still won't watch your videos. It's really all about views right. Now I know a YouTuber who got over 500k subs by doing a bunch of those gimmick shout outs, but you have to win a lot of them. Doing collabs is cool but if the person doesn't already have a ton of subs you'll get a little bit of new subs and viewers. No one can really say they have a general way to gain viewers and subs because people do it in different ways. I suggest using other social media to help get your content out there. It does help to make friends on YouTube. Do early videos on new trends or trending topics, if they fit your style of content. get well known into your type of community. I see you play L4D 2, join some L4D forums and talk to other YouTubers who play that game. And always try to improve your content. Like I said before you don't have to take my suggestion, but just do what you feel is worth doing.
You make it sound like you think all I play is L4D. Does anybody ever look at the other games I play? Besides, I completed the game a month ago, and had scheduled them to be uploaded for the rest of January, until the 30th. And I don't much care for co-op games, I feel so slow, like I'm the only one who always lags behind, so I don't bother playing WITH anybody.

And about the new trends, I can't afford the games that other YouTubers are playing these days. I don't earn enough from YouTube ads, to be able to buy any of that.

And I don't really know how to go about making friends on YouTube. I don't even have any in real life.

Last edited:

Creative Myth

Respected User
Nov 5, 2016
YouTube
CreativeMyth
You make it sound like you think all I play is L4D. Does anybody ever look at the other games I play? Besides, I completed the game a month ago, and had scheduled them to be uploaded for the rest of January, until the 30th. And I don't much care for co-op games, I feel so slow, like I'm the only one who always lags behind, so I don't bother playing WITH anybody.

And about the new trends, I can't afford the games that other YouTubers are playing these days. I don't earn enough from YouTube ads, to be able to buy any of that.

And I don't really know how to go about making friends on YouTube. I don't even have any in real life.
I wasn't trying to say L4D is the only game you play, I was using it as an example. As far as trends you could play like the latest mod for a game. There is a Freedom collab section you should check out if you really want to make friends.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
So if advertising is fine, then how do I do that without getting the same kind of hate comments other people get? I don't know how much it costs to show a video ad, but I'm pretty sure I won't have enough.

Be subtle and don't scream it in people's faces. If something in a video catches your eye and is related to anything you do with your channel then share your experience without making it blatant you are throwing your name out there. That's one way to do it without attracting a lot of hate. You'll still get some as some people are just jerks about it but you'll be fine for the most part doing it like that.

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Which ever way you look at it you will get some hate comments if you ask or suggest for people to come check your channel, theres no changing that its just how some people are. As said above if thats what you want to do just dont sound too demanding when you leave a comment and see what happens. I personally havnt gone down that root, tbh to this day all i have done is upload daily on my channel and done no proper advertising apart from this forum. I have just been relying on my tags, titles, thumbnails and content to draw people in. So far this has gotten me over 500 subs in 7 months and over 130k views. At the end of the day if you keep making good content that people like it will eventually bring growth to your channel, make sure you engage with people more in your own comment section and maybe advertise your content on other social media. Either way its not easy to do. If you struggle like said above see if anyone wants to collab with you, learn to use skype, its very easy lol can i also suggest you work a little bit on some of your highlight videos, for example one of your half life videos shows way too many super short clips where nothing really happens, they need to be a tad longer for one and actually show somthing more interesting for the viewers. That is just my opinion though. I will say your editing is pretty good though to be fair but maybe work more on what points of interest you have.

Last edited: