Do people even put effort into their videos anymore?

OneHeartVice

Rising User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube
Not an attack I swear.
Just I see so many people trying to make it on YouTube and failing, probably because their content is poor.
I'm talking about poorly made thumbnails, generic intros that are just free templates ripped from random websites, crackly mics etc etc.
I'm just wondering if people even put time into their videos anymore or if they just play, upload, play, upload, without even thinking about the content they're making or even having fun with it anymore.
I'm quite proud of my channel in the sense of how I've made my introduction, my logo, my outro all by myself and I worked a lot of hours on each one to try and stand out from the crowd.
I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on what you think in regards to poorly made channels, and to offer tips to channels that could use some help.
My tip would probably be: be original + professional!! So don't recycle generic templates, don't use cheesy dubstep in your intros, spend longer than five minutes on a thumbnail, don't use MS paint to create your thumnails. Just really think about your content and think about how your content reflects your personality. Do you want to be known for your lack of creativity/talent? Or be known as a person who strives for perfection.

It totally seems like an attack on these channels but it's not, it is honestly trying to help and I want to know what other people think about these channels too.

TheItchNetwork

Rising User
Nov 10, 2015
YouTube
Sounds pretty heavily like an attack, but some people indeed work hard on their videos. I think Audio is really the key. At least from what I've heard.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Indeed sounds like an attack. I stream my games trough YT Gaming and make small adjustments afterwards. Due to work i don't have much time to go into professional edits for my video's but on the other hand i stream for fun and enjoy sharing my moments with youtube as a hobby. I don't do YT for the money or to become pro. I do it as a hobby and because i have fun in sharing.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I find that alot people simply lack the willingness to even just try to do it all themselves, and try to lean on everyone else to get them off the ground.

People will come in and look for reviews on their channel. While not [technically] a bad thing, the way many of those posts are made signify that the person never stood back for a second and thought "what do I think of my channel?".
People come in looking for support on the simplest of issues. An issue like a sign up issue, instead of trying to resolve it themselves and work through it (my motto: help yourself before you ask others to help you) instead just ask the chat or make a post in the forum, without ever consulting the FAQ or going through the support tab for a minute.

I find that many, many people are absolutely lacking the effort to keep their channel, theirs. Resulting in them becoming to community dependent for things like views and subscribers which will lead to their downfall.

Do you know how many people have begged the question "how to get big on YouTube?" on these forums alone? Most of them were new to the forum. Just asking that question doesn't bode well for them as a single Google search would net 100x more results than we could ever come up with.

Yes, that is an attack, by me. An attack on the absolute laziness and misconceptions commonly found in new YouTubers.
[Note that the final statement speaks to that found commonly in new YouTubers, not all]

Last edited:

OneHeartVice

Rising User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube
When I said it's not an attack guys I meant I wasn't angry or upset or whatever at those channels, I just wanted people's opinions on channels that expect to get big but put no effort in.
If you're doing YouTube for fun and personal reasons then you're excluded because you aren't trying to make it big or anything. But there's thousands upon thousands of small channels that are begging to get big and want so badly to get popular and recognised and famous, and their channel lacks any good content/design.

Is it an attack? It seems like it I guess, but I'm not angry, just confused at the small channels lack of awareness.

Reactions: Dexicos

civicgaming

New User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube
I agree about taking time to edit your videos. But sometimes it seems like all the work you put into the video does not get appreciated :/

UnderGroundTank

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2014
YouTube
People try it just they don't try and go that extra mile.
For most people when they start a channel all they really now is that the want to start a channel and the Thumbnails,Intro,Banner,Avatar is nothing they put much thought into. So to bring there channel up to speed with most people they just get a template intoduction/Outro because they don't want to take the time or simple do not have the time to make then.

I mean I understand what you are saying cause I see the same thing and it irritating but hopefully they ones who do work there a**'s off end up outshining the others.

Here are reasons I see why people don't take all the time they need to make a great quality video:
1) Time - They work, Go to school and they don't have enough time to full make the best video they can.
2) Money- They are in it for the money and the money only so they do as little as possible just to slide by.
3) Knowledge- They have no idea how to do any form of GFX .
- Most people just learn as they go and get better as time goes by, like me. When I first started thumbnails they looked horrid and
I would like to think that I am slowly getting better like people tell me.
4) STREAMERS- this one really gets me mad. This is the person who streams to thousands of people and then just uploads them to YouTube so they can A) Make more money or B) so more people can see them. Either way most of there streamers never make a video just for YouTube and it is kind of stupid. I get it maybe they stream the whole day and just want to be done with it but I mean they could take an hour and trim the video up so you only see what you need to see and make a thumbnail.
5) Laziness- This is the person who is like number 2 except they know basic knowledge of gfx but they are just to lazy to make anything.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
For most people when they start a channel all they really now is that the want to start a channel and the Thumbnails,Intro,Banner,Avatar is nothing they put much thought into. So to bring there channel up to speed with most people they just get a template intoduction/Outro because they don't want to take the time or simple do not have the time to make then.

I mean I understand what you are saying cause I see the same thing and it irritating but hopefully they ones who do work there a**'s off end up outshining the others.

Here are reasons I see why people don't take all the time they need to make a great quality video:
1) Time - They work, Go to school and they don't have enough time to full make the best video they can.
2) Money- They are in it for the money and the money only so they do as little as possible just to slide by.
- Most people just learn as they go and get better as time goes by, like me. When I first started thumbnails they looked horrid and
4) STREAMERS- this one really gets me mad. This is the person who streams to thousands of people and then just uploads them to YouTube so they can A) Make more money or B) so more people can see them. Either way most of there streamers never make a video just for YouTube and it is kind of stupid. I get it maybe they stream the whole day and just want to be done with it but I mean they could take an hour and trim the video up so you only see what you need to see and make a thumbnail.
5) Laziness- This is the person who is like number 2 except they know basic knowledge of gfx but they are just to lazy to make anything.
Alot of people also fail to do any research whatsoever when getting into YouTube. They think "I'll make a channel about ______" and jump into it with no idea of what they're actually doing.

If you're new, do your research. You absolutely must know what you're doing when you start. If you want to consider YouTube like a job, why do so many people skip orientation? It's like jumping into a new job on a day that the only person who knows how to work whatever machine you're working on isn't there.
What do you do? You can't be successful without the proper knowledge and skillset.
Try parking a 52' trailer with absolutely no experience driving at all beforehand. It will not be successful.

Getting big on YouTube is almost never a fluke. Those who are big know how to manipulate YouTube's algorithms to their advantage.

SteveOfWarr

Freedom! Member
I've aways been in the opinion that if the person is charismatic enough, then they'd need less effects plastered onto of it, and just have great Editing and Audio quality.

Effects are useful to help makes something funny, FUNNIER, but there is a common trend these days of people abusing them and relying too much on using effects to make their video 'look' good.

If people are serious about their channel, then they'll make the time for creating banners, graphics, logos etc and learning how to make them look really awesome.

"I find that alot people simply lack the willingness to even just try to do it all themselves, and try to lean on everyone else to get them off the ground"

This is very true of someone that I know of, who in a nutshell uses graphics that myself and other people have created, and that does irritate me, so I totally get where your coming from with that.

Bottom line, I feel that knowing how to structure a video and what to cut out/ keep, is essential IMO.

Prology

Legendary User
Freedom! Member
Jun 14, 2015
YouTube
it can depend a lot on the person because a lot of people do not have time to do everything which can be annoying for other people to watch but if you don't have the time then that is fair, I try to do everything my self and atm I am and that is why not everything is great because I do not know how to make everything good but its part of the adventure with YouTube , it can be down to people not knowing a lot about making thumbnails and sometimes it can cost a lot to buy the programs. but I agree in that people should try and improve and do a lot of it them selves , I have learny to make my thumbnails do all my editing by my self but some of it is tough and will take a while for me to get right.

some are lazy and some don't have the tools so don't just think a lot of people are last cause they might not be :)

Reactions: SteveOfWarr

ProHenis

Respected User
May 8, 2014
United States
YouTube
I think some people just do not take YouTube as seriously as others. Some people just want to play the game and share it with their friends or family with no real intention of growing their own personal brand or becoming successful (which is fine). I personally take YouTube seriously and I often think about all the things your mentioned in your first post. I left a comment on on of your videos btw just sharing some of my own thoughts about your channel! I hope you find them helpful!

OneHeartVice

Rising User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube

Yeah you make a lot of good points! I'm in full time education with a job on the weekend but I manage to still dish out videos and make ****, so I believe it's just people's laziness, and if they lack the knowledge to make good things, then it's their laziness again to learn.

OneHeartVice

Rising User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube
I think some people just do not take YouTube as seriously as others. Some people just want to play the game and share it with their friends or family with no real intention of growing their own personal brand or becoming successful (which is fine). I personally take YouTube seriously and I often think about all the things your mentioned in your first post. I left a comment on on of your videos btw just sharing some of my own thoughts about your channel! I hope you find them helpful!
Oh hey dude! I definitely found your comment helpful thanks for checking out my channel! I totally agree, it's totally fine to make whatever content you want without the intention of growing etc. Again thanks for checking out my channel!

OneHeartVice

Rising User
Feb 9, 2016
YouTube
I've aways been in the opinion that if the person is charismatic enough, then they'd need less effects plastered onto of it, and just have great Editing and Audio quality.

Effects are useful to help makes something funny, FUNNIER, but there is a common trend these days of people abusing them and relying too much on using effects to make their video 'look' good.

If people are serious about their channel, then they'll make the time for creating banners, graphics, logos etc and learning how to make them look really awesome.

"I find that alot people simply lack the willingness to even just try to do it all themselves, and try to lean on everyone else to get them off the ground"

This is very true of someone that I know of, who in a nutshell uses graphics that myself and other people have created, and that does irritate me, so I totally get where your coming from with that.

Bottom line, I feel that knowing how to structure a video and what to cut out/ keep, is essential IMO.
Totally agree!

russd3x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 28, 2015
Europe
YouTube
Well In terms of "effort" I guess you mean the editing, the vocalisation etc. I put effort into my videos personally however in said case I don't do too much editing, cropping and trimming. I just make sure it's nice and smooth with hardly any issues.