Getting it with dislikes?

Illusional Gaming

Freedom! Member
Nov 2, 2014
YouTube
andttias
Hey guys so recently I got hit with a ton of dislikes on my channel on everysingle video. I think it's from the same person because all of my videos have dislikes on them now. I used to have 0 dislikes on every video about 5 months ago now it's on every one. I really don't understand why, but is there anything I could do about this? I know dislikes don't matter, but it builds a bad reputation if some new people were coming to my channel/videos and saw a ton of dislikes. It really sets the bar down for those people. I just need some opinions on this or if some other people have dealt with this, please reply. Thanks a lot!

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Just need to keep on going, they will get bored eventually.

Think of it this way, they are helping your ranking, each dislike counts and interaction which is good, it also adds seconds / minutes to your watch time, both of which help with the videos rankings.

Illusional Gaming

Freedom! Member
Nov 2, 2014
YouTube
andttias
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Just need to keep on going, they will get bored eventually.

Think of it this way, they are helping your ranking, each dislike counts and interaction which is good, it also adds seconds / minutes to your watch time, both of which help with the videos rankings.

I don't know man, because they click the video then dislike and repeat. It just gives me a bad reputation. It's been happening for 5 months, they're still not bored LOL.

Savannah

Renowned User
Jul 12, 2015
YouTube
Hey guys so recently I got hit with a ton of dislikes on my channel on everysingle video. I think it's from the same person because all of my videos have dislikes on them now. I used to have 0 dislikes on every video about 5 months ago now it's on every one. I really don't understand why, but is there anything I could do about this? I know dislikes don't matter, but it builds a bad reputation if some new people were coming to my channel/videos and saw a ton of dislikes. It really sets the bar down for those people. I just need some opinions on this or if some other people have dealt with this, please reply. Thanks a lot!

@Kan dealt with something similar recently. Maybe he can give you some advice. It sounds like someone who is obsessed and angry with you :/

Reactions: AverageRageGamer

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
@Kan dealt with something similar recently. Maybe he can give you some advice. It sounds like someone who is obsessed and angry with you :/

I have the best way to deal with it I found, was to turn off your ratings, people can still vote but it won't show publicly. it won't hurt your SEO and will detour people from doing it :)

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
It's really not a big deal. I've got tons of dislikes on some of my videos (one with over 400), but guess what? My channel is still growing.

Dislikes are not a bad thing, try not to take it personally.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Dislikes are still counted as engagements and thus still helps you in the long run. I really wouldn't worry about it.

I have the best way to deal with it I found, was to turn off your ratings, people can still vote but it won't show publicly. it won't hurt your SEO and will detour people from doing it :)

Well if you are getting less dislikes, it does mean it effects your position in searches, because the more engagements you have the more likely your video will receive a higher rank. So the real question is, do you want to trade in those minor dislikes for the possibility of the video having a lower rank?

I would just take the dislikes, even if it has very little effect because just 1 rank can make a huge difference.

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
Dislikes are still counted as engagements and thus still helps you in the long run. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Well if you are getting less dislikes, it does mean it effects your position in searches, because the more engagements you have the more likely your video will receive a higher rank. So the real question is, do you want to trade in those minor dislikes for the possibility of the video having a lower rank?

I would just take the dislikes, even if it has very little effect because just 1 rank can make a huge difference.

People still can like, and still will even though mine are off, but dislikers generally stop because they can't see the progress of dislikes. Yes dislikes count as engagement but there is a point where it is motivationally killing and no matter how "engaging" it is it still is hard to look at personally. When I saw 1600 dislikes, I knew it would help me grow, but it dropped my motivation a lot. Also at that many dislikes people generally click away before viewing or the rare few that watch to see why it's disliked.

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
People still can like, and still will even though mine are off, but dislikers generally stop because they can't see the progress of dislikes. Yes dislikes count as engagement but there is a point where it is motivationally killing and no matter how "engaging" it is it still is hard to look at personally. When I saw 1600 dislikes, I knew it would help me grow, but it dropped my motivation a lot. Also at that many dislikes people generally click away before viewing or the rare few that watch to see why it's disliked.

The issue is it shouldn't make you unhappy, or unmotivated. Getting dislikes should be the least of anyone's concerns because youtube is much harsher than that the more you climb up. If you can't handle some dislikes .. what's next? Shutting off the comments because you can't handle the comments? There will always be the few who dislike for no reason, but those few are no reason to shut off your ratings.

In plus ... if you are getting 1,000s of dislikes, there is something wrong and it means you need to fix whatever it is that is wrong. People may dislike at random sometimes, but certainly not in the thousands. Turning off your rating isn't a fix. It's running from the problem.

Now if you are talking about 1,600 dislikes overall, across all your videos? How on earth should that drop your motivation? Your likes are much higher right? As long as your likes to dislike ratio is at least 3 to 1, you really shouldn't be concerned.

As @Kan says, what is more important, the growth of your channel or your happiness? I would rather have a small channel that I am happy working on, than a larger one that stresses me out with dislikes etc.

>.>

Why on earth did you even start youtubing then if you are so easily hurt by a number? My previous channel has 646 likes and 90 dislikes. Tell me why should those 90 dislikes have any effect on me over those 646?

646 liked my comment, why on earth should I be bothered that 90 who did not?

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
yeah ever since reddit started to give me views (5 days ago) i started to get more dislikes I used to have just 12 dislikes but last 2 vids got 3 dislikes so its growing kinda hard.

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
The issue is it shouldn't make you unhappy, or unmotivated. Getting dislikes should be the least of anyone's concerns because youtube is much harsher than that the more you climb up. If you can't handle some dislikes .. what's next? Shutting off the comments because you can't handle the comments? There will always be the few who dislike for no reason, but those few are no reason to shut off your ratings.

In plus ... if you are getting 1,000s of dislikes, there is something wrong and it means you need to fix whatever it is that is wrong. People may dislike at random sometimes, but certainly not in the thousands. Turning off your rating isn't a fix. It's running from the problem.

Now if you are talking about 1,600 dislikes overall, across all your videos? How on earth should that drop your motivation? Your likes are much higher right? As long as your likes to dislike ratio is at least 3 to 1, you really shouldn't be concerned.

>.>

Why on earth did you even start youtubing then if you are so easily hurt by a number? My previous channel has 646 likes and 90 dislikes. Tell me why should those 90 dislikes have any effect on me over those 646?

Nope averaging 1,600 dislikes per video. Clear bot but still it does hurt it is hard to get true audience growth and interaction while some dislikes don't hurt mass spamming of dislikes has gotten channels shut down for "Inappropriate clicking" Which is great right? Also it was per video. Like I said I can handle a few dislikes I can handle negative comments, but when all it is is a bot it is incredibly demotivating, why turning off likes can work in the scenario. For me the bot has left, but I actually am still not sure if it's safe to turn them on so for now they stay off, and when I decide to turn them on I won't announce it. I'm not saying that you should for a few comments, but when it's clear a dislike bot. Then that is the best reaction.

Also, understand why you may not be effected by it. I have seen a HUGE decrease in my retention time, why? The dislikes I could confirmed it before then I had a retention of 64% which is decent after the dislikes and before turning them off it dropped to 21% so people saw the dislikes and left. Since turning them off my retention has slowly risen back up. So it does matter.

My content hadn't changed in fact it was more of what my viewers wanted, but to new viewers they had no interest seeing such highly disliked content.

Reactions: Fourth Wall Games

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube

You misunderstand what I am saying and the context that this thread was started on.

We are not talking about a couple of dislikes here and there, we mean when a video gets a load of dislikes irrelevant of the content.

I don't get effected by a couple of dislikes, I am pretty sure no one does, but when you put up a video and it gets 500+ dislikes from trolls / bots, it makes you think.

In the last 28 days I have had 3,159 likes and 85 dislikes, I am hardly someone currently affected by this, but as someone with knowledge and learning around the human psyche I know how it can effect people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kan

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Nope averaging 1,600 dislikes per video. Clear bot but still it does hurt it is hard to get true audience growth and interaction while some dislikes don't hurt mass spamming of dislikes has gotten channels shut down for "Inappropriate clicking" Which is great right? Also it was per video. Like I said I can handle a few dislikes I can handle negative comments, but when all it is is a bot it is incredibly demotivating, why turning off likes can work in the scenario. For me the bot has left, but I actually am still not sure if it's safe to turn them on so for now they stay off, and when I decide to turn them on I won't announce it. I'm not saying that you should for a few comments, but when it's clear a dislike bot. Then that is the best reaction.

I am a little confused by this. How does disabling ratings help? It doesn't prevent a bot from doing it as far as I am aware. Also, if you know it's a bot .. I don't understand how that would be demotivating. I do believe turning off ratings under these circumstances are fine though.

But, this is totally not the same situation that the OP has mentioned. Yet you recommended it in his case anyway.

Also, understand why you may not be effected by it. I have seen a HUGE decrease in my retention time, why? The dislikes I could confirmed it before then I had a retention of 64% which is decent after the dislikes and before turning them off it dropped to 21% so people saw the dislikes and left. Since turning them off my retention has slowly risen back up. So it does matter.

My content hadn't changed in fact it was more of what my viewers wanted, but to new viewers they had no interest seeing such highly disliked content.

Yes, but you are talking about a dislike bot, an unusual situation. That isn't what the OP is talking about. The OP is talking about a person is disliking his videos. I can understand if you where recommending under the same situation, but you are not.

You said ...
... too someone who is experiencing the usual. Sorry, but I don't agree. There is no reason to turn of rating in his case, nor do I find it's the best way to deal with it.

You misunderstand what I am saying and the context that this thread was started on.

We are not talking about a couple of dislikes here and there, we mean when a video gets a load of dislikes irrelevant of the content.

I don't get effected by a couple of dislikes, I am pretty sure no one does, but when you put up a video and it gets 500+ dislikes from trolls / bots, it makes you think.

In the last 28 days I have had 3,159 likes and 85 dislikes, I am hardly someone currently affected by this, but as someone with knowledge and learning around the human psyche I know how it can effect people.

You are the one who is misunderstanding. Where in the OP's post does he say he is getting a load of dislikes?
His latest videos don't have a load of dislikes. In fact, as far as I can tell those dislikes may actually even be legitimate dislikes. There is no actual indication that it's some random person disliking all his videos. Considering he newest video has 2 dislikes, and the video prior to that has 7. We know it's not a bot, other wise it would be a whole lot more. We know it's not 1 person.

So exactly what context are you speaking off, because as far as I am aware, you and the OP are not talking about the same thing.

Also the video with 7 dislikes, likely has to do with him doing commentary after his wisdom teeth where pulled, so he could hardly talk correctly. The video prior to that one also had a bit of dislikes, but I imagine that was caused by how his commentary audio got cut off.

As I said, don't tell me about the context of this thread, I got it. Disabling ratings isn't an appropriate response in his situation.

Last edited:

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
I was speaking about context which doesn't mean that it is directly exampled in the OPs videos. Having a large proportion of dislikes to likes. Botted or not botted, it has the same effect.

Honestly, I will leave this conversation now as you don't seem willing to discuss it, rather just want to say your opinion and have that as the end, so I will leave it at that. :)

Just try and make your replies a little less argumentative :)

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I was speaking about context which doesn't mean that it is directly exampled in the OPs videos. Having a large proportion of dislikes to likes. Botted or not botted, it has the same effect.

Honestly, I will leave this conversation now as you don't seem willing to discuss it, rather just want to say your opinion and have that as the end, so I will leave it at that. :)

Just try and make your replies a little less argumentative :)

If you are talking about the context of Kan's response, I get that, but how on earth am I suppose to know that is what he means, when that isn't the context of the thread? Also, I am not being anymore argumentative than you are.

LifelessDane

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jul 19, 2014
Arcadia Bay
phyograph.wixsite.com
well i just experience that my music cover get dislikes :)
Well that arent so bad :D
That means that people still are watching the video since they chose to hate it.
But so far i can see people are still positive supporting it, with so far 15 likes :)
So what the hell :) Let the haters hate, and lets don't be sad about it.

I have fath in you all (y) (Y)
"Some people dream of success, others stay awake to reach it" :)