YouTube Is YouTube's Restricted mode going to impact gaming channels!

U

User.123120

Hello, all!

So recently Youtube has been going through some difficulty with the miss understanding of the Restricted mode that Youtube released a while back.

What is "Restricted mode"?
"Restricted Mode is an opt-in setting available on the computer and mobile site that helps screen out potentially objectionable content that you may prefer not to see or don't want others in your family to stumble across while enjoying YouTube. You can think of this as a parental control setting for YouTube."

Because of said events, it's got me thinking about all other content which is considered objectionable for instance channels that upload "edgy" content but then that also got me thinking about Gaming channels.

Now while not all games are considered mature or violent content there will be a few games that will put you into a restricted category such as games like Doom, Deus Ex, BioShock, and Hitman.Even games that have a somewhat mature rating of 16 could land you in the same category as games like Doom, so you'll need to start thinking twice about uploading Call of Duty, Halo, and Battlefield!
Did you know that 75.7 million YouTube videos use the gaming tag that is currently uploaded to the site, so if your still a considerably small YouTuber you might not feel it as much, but that is unless you don't tag the game or include the name in the title for the search engine to easily find it and match it!

With that being said, it's not all doom and gloom with only a very small percentage of users actually use restricted mode voluntary so now's, not the time to fully squeaky clean our channels!

Gaijin Goombah who you might recognize from his own channel or if you are a viewer of The Game Theorists with Matt Pat, has had issues with the system at the start of March, yes while some of his gameplay and general videos do contain some Mature and violent scenes not all of them do, but thanks to the inaccuracies of the restricted feature it removed all his content from the site with the restricted mode activated.

89823b998eead95c7b57c16874a1e502.png

So what do you guys think? Do you have any plans to avoid this or will you be changing some of your content around?

Also this thread I have a challenge for you! I would like to see someone find another channel when in restricted mode has no content there!

All the best
-itsjustjord

Reactions: Fun Gala and rebo

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Well restricted mode isn't much good as it is as its so inaccurate, plus how many people actually use the feature, from what I've seen not many do, its not a major problem. Also considering how many gamers swear in their videos these days I'm not surprised if there content restricted. I think when I last checked some of mine were down just for the game I was playing. I doubt youtube will make restricted mode mandatory anytime soon so hopefully nothing major will happen over it.​

Reactions: Fun Gala

Trippst3r

Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
ItsTrippst3r
Kids are going to be exposed to swearing and violence eventually anyways. My personal opinion, YouTube shouldn't bother trying to restrict it. However, I do think it will be good for restricting certain videos such as those portraying real life terrorism.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Kids are going to be exposed to swearing and violence eventually anyways. My personal opinion, YouTube shouldn't bother trying to restrict it. However, I do think it will be good for restricting certain videos such as those portraying real life terrorism.
That's the thing, YouTube isn't going to restrict it unless you or someone you know restricts it for you.

It is my view that kids should be exposed, indirectly if not directly, to swearing, violence, and other 'bad things' in life before they get too old. Helicopter parenting in the form that restricts a childhood to 99.9999% good times, and sheltering kids in a bubble of happiness is a big factor in childhood depression as things go south quickly as soon as they are slapped with a taste of reality not being built for them.

Example; I have been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since I was young, like 4-5 young. As the psychologists say, it has made me desensitized to violence - but not it a way that makes me more likely to commit to it. If I hear of a violent event, I won't take it as a clue to think the world is in a terrible place and it's too dangerous for me, I'll rather think "Oh, that's unfortunate for that person" and go on with my life as was before I heard it. I live a happier life because of being exposed to the concept of senseless violence earlier in life. Of course, with your kids make it known that it is not what you should do, but as something you shouldn't. Still, exposure to the concept was important for me.

Reactions: Trippst3r

Trippst3r

Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
ItsTrippst3r
That's the thing, YouTube isn't going to restrict it unless you or someone you know restricts it for you.

It is my view that kids should be exposed, indirectly if not directly, to swearing, violence, and other 'bad things' in life before they get too old. Helicopter parenting in the form that restricts a childhood to 99.9999% good times, and sheltering kids in a bubble of happiness is a big factor in childhood depression as things go south quickly as soon as they are slapped with a taste of reality not being built for them.

Example; I have been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since I was young, like 4-5 young. As the psychologists say, it has made me desensitized to violence - but not it a way that makes me more likely to commit to it. If I hear of a violent event, I won't take it as a clue to think the world is in a terrible place and it's too dangerous for me, I'll rather think "Oh, that's unfortunate for that person" and go on with my life as was before I heard it. I live a happier life because of being exposed to the concept of senseless violence earlier in life. Of course, with your kids make it known that it is not what you should do, but as something you shouldn't. Still, exposure to the concept was important for me.
I do agree with you. Not much else I can say on the matter, really. I just hope this doesn't cause another "#YoutubeIsOverParty" style backlash.

Mar 27, 2017
Hello guys i have problem with my channel i have gaming channel, and i post only League Montages on that channel and all of my videos are restricted i dont know why but all of them if i search my channel in restricted mode on my channel isnt on youtube... So is this mean that "League of Legends" is restricted game or its mistake by youtube?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Hello guys i have problem with my channel i have gaming channel, and i post only League Montages on that channel and all of my videos are restricted i dont know why but all of them if i search my channel in restricted mode on my channel isnt on youtube... So is this mean that "League of Legends" is restricted game or its mistake by youtube?
The feature isn't fully fleshed out yet, I wouldn't worry yet.

Some Thoughts

New User
Mar 28, 2017
YouTube
The restricted mode won't make a real difference on the numbers of views because just a small percentage will use it. It will however make a difference on the ad revenue of the channels consider with offensive content. Since most companies like to play safe, they'll probably opt to ad only on the restricted mode. So if only 1% of people use this restricted mode, maybe 15% of the ads will only play in restricted mode. So the friendly channels would make more money.