Community Playing Star Wars games for YouTube.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I've been wanting to play Star Wars: Republic Commando, but seeing as Disney/Disney Interactive doesn't seem to have a policy on Let's Plays, I tried to contact them a week ago, but I have received no response from them so far. I don't know if it's safe to upload videos of Star Wars games.

I'm just worried because of how Disney content has affected some YouTubers I used to follow, even though those channels mainly did Disney song covers, and that's a different kind of media, so it might not be quite the same. I had turned off the music in the game, and was so close to livestreaming it on YouTube, until I decided to switch over to Dead Space, because I was concerned about this issue.

I get that in some of the KYC videos they said that adding your own commentary will make your video fall into fair use, so I'm sure that YouTube would keep my videos of the game up, but I'm still not sure about what Disney would do about it.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I've streamed Force Unleashed 2 a couple months ago and am currently streaming Knights of the Old Republic. I was a little worried too but I didn't even get a content ID claim for the music. You should probably be fine.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
It should be safe to upload as long as you add commentary and play the game (not just uploading cutscenes for example). Turning off music however is generally a good practice for any Let's Play.

I get that in some of the KYC videos they said that adding your own commentary will make your video fall into fair use, so I'm sure that YouTube would keep my videos of the game up, but I'm still not sure about what Disney would do about it.
Fair Use is not some stupid YouTube rule, it's copyright law. Should Disney take down a video you can dispute it with Fair Use and they have to retract claims or strikes for it.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
It should be safe to upload as long as you add commentary and play the game (not just uploading cutscenes for example). Turning off music however is generally a good practice for any Let's Play.

Fair Use is not some stupid YouTube rule, it's copyright law. Should Disney take down a video you can dispute it with Fair Use and they have to retract claims or strikes for it.
Well, in that case, I guess I'll go for it. Besides, I do have a couple Star Wars videos up already. One from years ago, which I almost completely forgot about, and one to test my livestreaming capabilities, both of the same game, though. So I guess I was kinda too late to really ask this. Not sure about monetization though. I know I don't meet the requirements yet, but still.