YouTube The big YouTubers get bigger and the small YouTubers stay small

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
This is going to be a semi-rant post but there's something that just annoyed me. Star Wars Battlefront II comes out on Friday. I new game is always a great opportunity to try and get yourself noticed because a lot of people are going to be searching for it. I even preordered the game so I can play it early and get my videos out before the insanely large rush starts. I've noticed on my recommended feed that there are already lots of gameplay videos (not just the trailers/promotion videos) meaning that YouTubers already have the game. I spent extra money so that I could get the game early and get my videos out early so I could possibly get my videos noticed and grow a little bit more. I try hard on my thumbnails (at least on the recent ones), I try to make my content interesting, for my tags I use rapidtags, the suggestions from Tubebuddy, and the recommended tags from vidiq but none of that matters because I have too few subs and too few views. I love doing YouTube but it's so hard to find the motivation when you get little views and little sub interaction.
Rant over :p

XFalcon

New User
Freedom! Member
Nov 8, 2017
Philippines
YouTube
XFalconYTer
That's because they've already established their place in YouTube first, they've been here WAY before we have, so it's natural that they have an advantage on everything, even if you thought you did it first. They get review copies, they get exclusive early access, etc etc. The gaming genre on YouTube is also very saturated as well so that also adds to the difficulty of breaking out. Not that I don't understand your struggle, mind you, I'm just stating the reality of things. But yeah, just keep going!

AustinCreates24

Respected User
Nov 1, 2017
YouTube
Well honestly, not only gaming channels have a hard time. Im a graphic designer and thats what my channel is all about. But even for me (with a concept thats not THAT popular) its hard to grow since well i get the feeling that art channels also dont get that much credits for what they do. I think youtube should give new youtubers (or youtubers with a small amount of subs) a special section so we arw able to grow

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
I understand all of this, I understand that they have been on YouTube for a long time and they've earned the advantages they have. I just don't normally rant about these types of things because I'm doing YouTube for fun and as long as I enjoy what I do I won't stop but it felt good to complain! :p I have no plans of giving up anytime soon!

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
unfortunatly this is how the system works, it used to be a bit better for small channel with the whole discovery and youtube could do a bit more in that case but it wont be good if they changed it too much for the big guys put just as much work in their vids as we do. work hard and maybe you will get noticed, tis all you can do

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
It's usually best not to cover insanely popular games that are sure to be oversaturated in content because even if you did get yours out first you'd still be drowned out as soon as the bigger youtubers start releasing content for that game.

Some of my best performing videos/series have come from games that don't have a ton of people doing videos on them thus it's not as oversaturated and my videos are easier to find. And usually the games like that are also not covered by any really big gaming channels.

These games did well for me
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
Skies of Arcadia Legends

Series I did that didn't do as well:
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker

I covered two new games right after release Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Berseria and both series did relatively well because they came from a series that is relatively speaking not super well known.