YouTube Video lengths and Tips?

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
so some of you know me, I try and stay active on the forums and on YouTube in general. But as a small youtuber what would you recommend for video lengths? Now ATM, I record Pokémon videos currently doing a randomized nuzlocke for Emerald. Now the standard for those videos are from 20-30mins. That standard was set quite a few years ago but it’s hard as a small channel (cause of retention and other things) to make those that long....and it’s just weird making it into like a cut commentary because so many things can happen at anytime. I plan on making other content as well...just busy with life and whatnot. Any tips for making cut commentaries for like a let’s play style of video??? Like 5-10mins at least :)

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I always say do what works best for you and maybe alter it depending on the game you are playing. Like maybe make them longer if it's a long game and shorter if it's a short game. I don't really see much reason to cut content unless you really need to.

It's The Kid

Mar 15, 2018
Paterson
YouTube
so some of you know me, I try and stay active on the forums and on YouTube in general. But as a small youtuber what would you recommend for video lengths? Now ATM, I record Pokémon videos currently doing a randomized nuzlocke for Emerald. Now the standard for those videos are from 20-30mins. That standard was set quite a few years ago but it’s hard as a small channel (cause of retention and other things) to make those that long....and it’s just weird making it into like a cut commentary because so many things can happen at anytime. I plan on making other content as well...just busy with life and whatnot. Any tips for making cut commentaries for like a let’s play style of video??? Like 5-10mins at least :)
Pokemon Videos arent really attended to be 5-10 minutes thats just my opinion

Thelazysideoflife

Respected User
Apr 20, 2018
YouTube
I think that if you only have content to 12 minutes make a video of 12 minutes long because you can tell when a video was enlongated just for the views. But what I advise you to do is to make videos ten minutes long or more because of Youtube's algorithm

Reactions: LPSprouts

Traf Plays

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 10, 2016
YouTube
I'd say it depends on how long you can entertain. How addictive your content is. I havent watched your videos to say i know what you are about but here is what i personally enjoy.

8mins on a not so much of a commentary video
12mins of a commentary video
16-20mins on a comedic gameplay video.

iWi Gaming

Rising User
Jun 17, 2018
YouTube
iwi_ryuk
I'd say it depends on how long you can entertain. How addictive your content is. I havent watched your videos to say i know what you are about but here is what i personally enjoy.

8mins on a not so much of a commentary video
12mins of a commentary video
16-20mins on a comedic gameplay video.

That actually seems like a very decent time scale.

Reactions: LPSprouts