Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I wont reach any of those two thresh holds anytime soon. 1K subs yeah I have been losing 3 subs lately so need more and more subs to get there and a total of 5K watch time a year? man..... talk about demoralizing

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
This is awful news for my channel. Since I haven't yet hit the 10,000 views needed, I'm still not part of your network. Now because of all of this I won't be able to join for a long time. I have just 210 subs and 9k views after 4 years of hard work so getting to 1,000 subs will take me forever, and I can't count on support from a network to help me grow.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Another way YouTube is alienating its content creators. While I understand the potential need for this in a business stance, its completely and utterly stupid to pile this on top of all the previous rules and criteria needed. Next it will be 'Oh you need 10K views, 10 watch hours and 10,000 subs. Seriously this is definitely taking the YOU out of YouTube

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
Another way YouTube is alienating its content creators. While I understand the potential need for this in a business stance, its completely and utterly stupid to pile this on top of all the previous rules and criteria needed. Next it will be 'Oh you need 10K views, 10 watch hours and 10,000 subs. Seriously this is definitely taking the YOU out of YouTube
seeing how youtube changes its rules on a whim it bakes the question, why should we keep to their rules if they can chane it ad they refuse to help the smaller guys who keep to the rules

Reactions: Violeta León

Mike Newman

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 20, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
madmik32510
This is going to affect me in a big way but i see it as an oppertunity to prove to myself i can get to partnership. I mean we can all moan that it is not fair, give up or we could say screw it om going to work as hard as i can to get what i want. This will not stop me from uploading hell it may even help me to produce better content. Like anything in life you have to work hard for what you want. I think it was Boogie2988 who said monetization on YT is a priviallage not a right.
So lets get out there and work for what we deserve!

Reactions: LW

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
I'm slightly confused as to why everyone is so upset by this. 99% of the channels being demonetized earned less than $100 in a year on Youtube-- thats less than $8.35 a month-- if you're in this 99% and earning exactly $100 a year. Most smaller channels are earning much less than $100 a year.

I'm assuming what YouTube is doing here is "trimming the fat," so to speak, which makes sense from a business standpoint. Eliminate ad revenue to the countless small channels and spread it out to, yes, the large channels, but....also to small channels with 1,000+ subscribers and 4,000+ hours of watch time within a year. Small channels will potentially earn even more money when they hit these two goals, than they have been. I'm excited about that.

So the question is, would you rather be earning nickels and dimes per month, while you are under the new YouTube monetization threshold, or would you rather be earning more money than you normally would when you finally do meet and exceed that monetization threshold?

For 20 straight months of doing Youtube, I invested countless hours of creating content, ensuring that I was creating the best possible content that I could with what I had to work with, and I earned less than a dollar a month for those 20 months. I had more change in my pocket after buying a cup of coffee than I did for creating content for YouTube during a month's time. I suspect many of you are in the same boat right now. Stick with it.

Create great content, employ good SEO into your videos, work extremely hard and be consistent, and these new YouTube guidelines should help you get to the 1,000 subscriber & 4,000 hour watch time threshold much quicker. In addition, when you finally reach that threshold you should be earning more than you would have, had YouTube stuck with its previous guidelines.

Last edited:

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
I'm slightly confused as to why everyone is so upset by this.

Several reasons. A big one for me personally is that I have to wait even longer now to get the help from a network. Seeing how I've been doing this for over 4 years and still haven't reached the previous requirement of 10k views yet, getting to these new ones will take forever.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
Several reasons. A big one for me personally is that I have to wait even longer now to get the help from a network. Seeing how I've been doing this for over 4 years and still haven't reached the previous requirement of 10k views yet, getting to these new ones will take forever.

I think you might be disillusioned about networks. They don't really "help" with your channel. They offer some tools you can use, such as unlicensed music and analytic tools, such as tubebuddy, but thats about it. I've been a freedom partner and I'm currently a partner with another network, which I've requested to be unlinked from as soon as my contract is up. I only use the unlicensed music and the network's revenue cut far exceeds the actual cost of an Epidemic Sound membership. You can use TubeBuddy for free, and its a big help. The best tool to help your channel is already available to you-- its these forums right here.

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
I think you might be disillusioned about networks.
Not really. I mean, I understand they aren't super helpful, and I won't use the music anyway, but at least it's something. My channel has been growing extremely slowly and for no clear reason. It currently has only 216 subscribers after 4 years of hard work. So a network would at least be another tiny thing that could maybe help a little.
You can use TubeBuddy for free, and its a big help.
And I do already use it, however right now it hasn't helped at all. Like I said, nothing seems to help. A network might not even help.
The best tool to help your channel is already available to you-- its these forums right here.
And just like everything else sadly in my channel's case for some reason it hasn't helped at all and my channel is still doing abysmally.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
I checked out your channel. My advice, for what it is worth, would be to do alot of research on how to incorporate good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) into your tags, title, and descriptions. If you do it right, this can help get some of your videos ranked on the first page of YouTube search results for some of your tags.

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
I checked out your channel. My advice, for what it is worth, would be to do alot of research on how to incorporate good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) into your tags, title, and descriptions. If you do it right, this can help get some of your videos ranked on the first page of YouTube search results for some of your tags.
I already do it and still my tags rarely even rank, and when they do, the videos themselves still don't get that many more views than ones with no ranked tags.

Amadeus Videos

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 6, 2016
England
YouTube
chrismurray1995
I'm going to be affected big time over this :/ ... I have 160 subscribers , over 5,000 minutes of watch time I can't seem to gain anymore than 160 subscribers no matter what I do, i tried changing up my videos to make better more interesting videos... it got the watch time from 1,000 to 5,000 but the subscribers have stayed at 160 .... I think its time to quit youtube its not fun anymore with the way they keep changing the rules and making it harder to make a living out of it.

Thats from January to December 2017... I have plenty of watch time , just not enough subscribers :/

Feared Gaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 19, 2016
Pennsylvania USA
YouTube
I just love how George said in his last video he don't know what will happen with small channels on freedom. BUT YET Freedom posted on Twitter saying they wont be able to keep small channels per YouTube rules.. First of youtube can't say who you have in your network they can say what perks they can use to a extent. So wonder who runs freedoms twitter cause twitter vs the george show kinda say two different things. I personally don't make money off youtube so i will continue either way with or with our freedom. That is why i pushed so hard on twitch. I loved being part of this community but i will not BEG to stay in a mcn that dont fight for small youtubers. Not to mention i'll stick it to YouTube as well and as i am a small youtube i'll add AdBlocker back to my browser and say forget all the ads.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I just love how George said in his last video he don't know what will happen with small channels on freedom. BUT YET Freedom posted on Twitter saying they wont be able to keep small channels per YouTube rules.. First of youtube can't say who you have in your network they can say what perks they can use to a extent. So wonder who runs freedoms twitter cause twitter vs the george show kinda say two different things. I personally don't make money off youtube so i will continue either way with or with our freedom. That is why i pushed so hard on twitch. I loved being part of this community but i will not BEG to stay in a mcn that dont fight for small youtubers. Not to mention i'll stick it to YouTube as well and as i am a small youtube i'll add AdBlocker back to my browser and say forget all the ads.
First of all YouTube can say who you have in a network as they are governed by the YPP, likewise if a network is doing things wrong or isn't operating the way they should be then theoretically YT could shut them down. As it currently stands after the timelimit is up all smaller channels that haven't reached the threshold will be removed from their MCN - be that Freedom or elsewhere. However Freedom is looking into still providing tools to its partners / ex-partners to allow them to continue to grow.