Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
But LW? I'm hardly at 10000 views, why are they making it even harder?

Because it's YouTube. They've released a blog post that starting today new Channels will need 1000 Subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time in the past year to monetize their content. Channels already in the YPP will keep earning money for 30 more days until this is extended to them.

This is definitely quite large news further cracking down on extremist content and badly placed ads. Sadly it will also mean that smaller channels won't be able to really earn money anymore, even though it wasn't as much according to the blog post.

What do you think about this? Are you affected by it? Talk about it in the replies, I'm interesting to see everyone's views about this. Also vote on the poll above.

TheCodyNetwork

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
TheCodyNetwork
This will affect me in a major way. I am not close to reaching either of these listed requirements and I am not sure if I am going to achieve them any time soon. I am aware that this was announced and that it will be a big help to YouTube and how they are able to monitor and take down harmful, inappropriate, or violent content. I am glad that they are taking steps to better the YouTube community and I am not trying to complain.
I make very little money on my YouTube channel and realize that my salary is not a big cut or dent in YouTube's pocket. I know that there are many YouTubers out there that are just fine with these new policies and believe it will benefit the community. It could possibly do that. I am just sad that YouTube is moving another step towards forgetting about this demographic (YouTubers under 1k). I am trying my absolute best to reach this criteria, but it is not as easy as it sounds. And even if I am able to reach 1,000 subscribers, 4000 hours of watch time in a year's span isn't always guaranteed.
I hope that this does not affect me too badly, and that feedback from the community will change these policies. Again, I do understand why YouTube wishes to place these changes upon creators, but I wish they wouldn't. And to everyone who had already reached these requirements, I'm sure it's easy to forget about us (And I'm sure not all of you have and that there are some out there who care for we smaller YouTubers), but I hope you can take a moment and look back to when you were just a small, simpler YouTuber bringing in a few dollars per month. Oh, and I'm sure I would be fine with these new criteria guidelines, too, if I were able to reach them. But, it's all about perspective so I hope you can think about this.
I do not want to quit my YouTube career. I love where I'm at and hope that I will prosper eventually. Anyways, here's to another year of great content!

Reactions: Danny

PrettyKoolCat

Freedom! Member
Mar 11, 2016
YouTube
PrettyKoolCat
I think this is horrible!!!
I have worked really hard on my channel for 3 years.
How the heck can they give people a 30 day notice in the worst time of year for YouTubers to try and get those demands.
They should have said this last year before the holidays so people could at least have a chance to meet the new requirements.
I'm so angry and upset.

How about this.... For all of us small channels that try and grind to make those numbers...
By the time you make it how do you know YouTube won't change it again?

So we all grind and do our very best and YouTube looks so good cause they have so many channels working so hard... the advertisers get impressed and give YouTube more money and only the big channels get rewarded.
TERRIBLE! :-(

Last edited:

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
A year of endless grinding and countless all-nighters and then this.

I had the opportunity to buy an expensive mic to make better videos for my subscribers, with half of it being paid by channel earnings (the other half came from my pocket.) Now, it might be a very long time for this opportunity to come for my channel again.

Reactions: Row

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
A year of endless grinding and countless all-nighters and then this.

I had the opportunity to buy an expensive mic to make better videos for my subscribers, with half of it being paid by channel earnings (the other half came from my pocket.) Now, it might be a very long time for this opportunity to come for my channel again.

How far off the watch time are you now?

Rhan

Nov 2, 2017
Reach
YouTube
this is an incredibly stupid move by the platform, sorry for the bad joke but, they are really taking the YOU out of YouTube. hopefully there will be a heavy user response and it will be overturned.

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Diemondgames

New User
Aug 24, 2017
So what reason do I, with only 145 subs, have to not use copyrighted songs in my videos/live streams now? I can't monetize anyway when this starts so I don't see a reason to not use them anymore.

Reactions: Violeta León

XxZroyaxX

New User
Freedom! Member
Jan 13, 2016
Durban
YouTube
xxzroyaxx
This seems to be a trend amongst the "streaming and video" platform services. There's a tendency to forget and ignore the smaller user who has to work hardest to get few views they get. It is, in my personal opinion, an asinine corporate decision which excludes the majority of those who use the platform. It will be with great interest that I will watch the fall-out of this decision.[DOUBLEPOST=1516173412][/DOUBLEPOST]
So what reason do I, with only 145 subs, have to not use copyrighted songs in my videos/live streams now? I can't monetize anyway when this starts so I don't see a reason to not use them anymore.

When you do reach the point where you will qualify for partnership, this strikes will form part of their new decision system. So if it's something you are working towards, I would rethink the idea of using copyright songs.

Diemondgames

New User
Aug 24, 2017
This seems to be a trend amongst the "streaming and video" platform services. There's a tendency to forget and ignore the smaller user who has to work hardest to get few views they get. It is, in my personal opinion, an asinine corporate decision which excludes the majority of those who use the platform. It will be with great interest that I will watch the fall-out of this decision.[DOUBLEPOST=1516173412][/DOUBLEPOST]

When you do reach the point where you will qualify for partnership, this strikes will form part of their new decision system. So if it's something you are working towards, I would rethink the idea of using copyright songs.

Except in all the time i've been on it, I have never gotten a strike for it only the monetization changes from me to whoever claims it, but the copyright deadlock fixes that.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
welp this will mean I will lose all monotization and things I gain from being in the youtube partner program, will this also mean that I wont be a freedom partner anymore?

Diemondgames

New User
Aug 24, 2017
welp this will mean I will lose all monotization and things I gain from being in the youtube partner program, will this also mean that I wont be a freedom partner anymore?

Better question would be is there now any reason to be in any partner program at all until you have achieved the 1k subs and 4k views? Also is Freedom trying to do anything about this?