Best Recording Software For Game?

CyberPhython

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
I don't know then... Cuz my system is trash and I don't lose frames at all... Maybe you need to lower your video settings in the game bit? Certain things in game can hurt framerate. If you still think DxTory is making you use frames, use Shadowplay or OBS.
For me, I use DxTory... The codec I use is the Matrox codec. It or the x264 codec.
Try Action It Should Work For Intel 2 DUO Or Newer And 2GB Of RAM[DOUBLEPOST=1445798991][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't understand how you can say fraps has the best quality when comparing to Dxtory which you can alter the quality to whatever you want and use whatever codec you want. In fact, I would say when using Lagarith Lossless Codec, the quality is pretty much on par. In most cases Dxtory will also perform better than Fraps.

I mean .. if you are going to inform people, please try to at least use correct information.

@KoolyRabbit
So .. I tried to use the same Codec and couldn't get it to work. Then I tried the x264 codec, and still got that huge drop in fps. I don't know, Dxtory just doesn't seem to like my minecraft lol XD. It works fine for everything else.
In FRAPS Try Setting The FPS To 120 And See What Happens It Worked For me But Im Not A Big Fan Of FRAPS

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Try Action It Should Work For Intel 2 DUO Or Newer And 2GB Of RAM[DOUBLEPOST=1445798991][/DOUBLEPOST]
In FRAPS Try Setting The FPS To 120 And See What Happens It Worked For me But Im Not A Big Fan Of FRAPS

Why are you telling me to do something with fraps? I don't have any issues with fraps lol.

Chris Swann

Pro gamer, voice-cracker, and filmmaker!
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2014
nunya
YouTube
For me, action is the best. No lag, You can record up to 120 FPS. It's awesome and worth the price.

Remu

Respected User
Jan 14, 2015
YouTube
I don't understand how you can say fraps has the best quality when comparing to Dxtory which you can alter the quality to whatever you want and use whatever codec you want. In fact, I would say when using Lagarith Lossless Codec, the quality is pretty much on par. In most cases Dxtory will also perform better than Fraps.

I mean .. if you are going to inform people, please try to at least use correct information.

@KoolyRabbit
So .. I tried to use the same Codec and couldn't get it to work. Then I tried the x264 codec, and still got that huge drop in fps. I don't know, Dxtory just doesn't seem to like my minecraft lol XD. It works fine for everything else.

OK, let's clear things up. Firstly, fraps does not compress it's footage, it is left completely RAW, which means that the files are massive, but are the highest possible quality. Due to fraps not compressing the footage, there is less strain on the CPU, giving better performance over compressive recorders. So the downsides to using fraps are (a) that the files are massive, and (b) that it cannot utilise the GPU to encode video, meaning worse performance in CPU intensive games.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
OK, let's clear things up. Firstly, fraps does not compress it's footage, it is left completely RAW, which means that the files are massive, but are the highest possible quality. Due to fraps not compressing the footage, there is less strain on the CPU, giving better performance over compressive recorders. So the downsides to using fraps are (a) that the files are massive, and (b) that it cannot utilise the GPU to encode video, meaning worse performance in CPU intensive games.

"The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions."

Source
http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#screencap

Since they do not explain exactly how they compress or the exact amount it compresses it's impossible to claim the things you did above. Your whole argument is based around fraps not compressing, and it most certainly does.

As I said to the other person. If you are going to inform people, please try to at least use correct information.

MCJesterFarian

JesterFarian
Freedom! Member

@KoolyRabbit

Nothing i said was misleading nor incorrect as i did say this was from experience using them.. unless you're saying my eyes deceived me? all the information i gave was what i had experienced using all these products a lot and i could even point out specific videos on my channel where i used different software for different ones. So yes i do know how i can say fraps is better quality.. because ive used both and fraps has been better.. ive used Lagarith Lossless codec btw :) . so what im really saying is expericencing something is much more useful than what you have read on some website.

so my information is correct, please try at least correct someone better next time

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Nothing i said was misleading nor incorrect as i did say this was from experience using them.. unless you're saying my eyes deceived me? all the information i gave was what i had experienced using all these products a lot and i could even point out specific videos on my channel where i used different software for different ones. So yes i do know how i can say fraps is better quality.. because ive used both and fraps has been better.. ive used Lagarith Lossless codec btw :) . so what im really saying is expericencing something is much more useful than what you have read on some website.

so my information is correct, please try at least correct someone better next time

And I am saying dxtory can use pretty much any codec. Thus Dxtory doesn't just have 1 quality that you can compare. You can't just test it and say .. it doesn't have as good quality. In order for that to be an accurate statement you would need to test every codec that dxtory can use with every setting that each codec offers.

Also .. I use both software myself and my experience is that the quality is about equal. So experience isn't worth crap. Facts are what matter.

MCJesterFarian

JesterFarian
Freedom! Member
And I am saying dxtory can use pretty much any codec. Thus Dxtory doesn't just have 1 quality that you can compare. You can't just test it and say .. it doesn't have as good quality. In order for that to be an accurate statement you would need to test every codec that dxtory can use with every setting that each codec offers.

Also .. I use both software myself and my experience is that the quality is about equal. So experience isn't worth crap. Facts are what matter.

Maybe its different from computer to computer.. but like i said in my original statement i have found fraps to be the better of the two from my use of the two pieces of software[DOUBLEPOST=1445807869][/DOUBLEPOST]I have tried many of codec's

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Maybe its different from computer to computer.. but like i said in my original statement i have found fraps to be the better of the two from my use of the two pieces of software

I understand that, I am only trying to make sure people get the correct information. Also, last but not least, lets assume for a second that fraps does indeed get slightly better quality. Once it's rendered and uploaded to youtube .. how much do you think that is going to matter? Not really going to be noticeable .. at which point you might as well just go with the recorder that performs better for which ever game you are playing. Which is why I use both.

Remu

Respected User
Jan 14, 2015
YouTube

Exactly.

KoolyRabbit

Rising User
Aug 8, 2015
YouTube

@KoolyRabbit
Lol I don't know what to tell you then. As a last resort, use Shadowplay if you have a Geforce GPU (Nvidia GPU). The x264 have to be configure in order for it to work properly though. OBS again is another choice but for me, it doesn't record 1080p videos properly because it stutters the game. This is just me though.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Lol I don't know what to tell you then. As a last resort, use Shadowplay if you have a Geforce GPU (Nvidia GPU). The x264 have to be configure in order for it to work properly though. OBS again is another choice but for me, it doesn't record 1080p videos properly because it stutters the game. This is just me though.

Well, I did test multiple recorders. I think it's got to be my hardware, and it probably just doesn't play well with the combination with minecraft. In Vanilla, I can get 200+fps, and as soon as I activate dxtory, obs, or action, wham down to 15 - 20fps I really don't get it. Fraps is the only recorder that doesn't do that and I have a feeling it has to do with the way the recorder hooks onto the game. I believe all those other recorders use a d3d9.dll to hook onto the game, which is why they don't work with ENB which also uses the same.

Also, I have AMD.

KoolyRabbit

Rising User
Aug 8, 2015
YouTube
Well, I did test multiple recorders. I think it's got to be my hardware, and it probably just doesn't play well with the combination with minecraft. In Vanilla, I can get 200+fps, and as soon as I activate dxtory, obs, or action, wham down to 15 - 20fps I really don't get it. Fraps is the only recorder that doesn't do that and I have a feeling it has to do with the way the recorder hooks onto the game. I believe all those other recorders use a d3d9.dll to hook onto the game, which is why they don't work with ENB which also uses the same.

Also, I have AMD.
One thing I should tell you... Whenever you are recording, always record on a separate hard drive. If you do that then your main HD will not take a huge hit and cuz the game to lag and so forth. I record on a separate hard drive so that the end result isn't choppy and laggy.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
One thing I should tell you... Whenever you are recording, always record on a separate hard drive. If you do that then your main HD will not take a huge hit and cuz the game to lag and so forth. I record on a separate hard drive so that the end result isn't choppy and laggy.

Yep, I am aware. :p