Forums Can we have a restriction on the chat??

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Hello fellow Freedom family members

I was wondering if there would be any way to restrict or limit access to the chat for new members to the forum, as recently I find myself telling people that have just joined not to promote themselves or post links to their channels in the forum chat. I know my suggestion may sound a bit harsh, but I personally feel that so many new members come onto the forum, and even before they check out the rules they just go ahead and link their channels in the chat and on other peoples thread in a bid to get noticed.

Another suggestion that might be easier to do is to make every new member to the forum to read the rules, I'm not necessarily talking about a quick tick box to say they have read it but maybe a quick questionnaire that they have to complete when they join that tests their knowledge of the general Freedom rules.

On a side note I do want to say I realise that not every new person is guilty of this but I can only base it off what I have seen in the last few weeks.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I think it is best to when you see such thing is to report the comment/post so that Mod team can take action. Once it happens more then once appropriate action can be undertaken :)
I always do, as my toleration of it is just none existent now, I know it isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things but its just little things like that, which can have all the impact on the forums

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Perhaps a similar restriction to that like the general forum. I heard it was like 5 posts or something until you can post links.
Perhaps something similar for chat, and if one posts a link before that a popup will show up saying that links are not permitted in the chat.

Or perhaps that should apply to all chatters, period. I've seen one person who has been around for a long time post a link, approved partner and all, in a time that the chat was dead.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Perhaps a similar restriction to that like the general forum. I heard it was like 5 posts or something until you can post links.
Perhaps something similar for chat, and if one posts a link before that a popup will show up saying that links are not permitted in the chat.

Or perhaps that should apply to all chatters, period. I've seen one person who has been around for a long time post a link, approved partner and all, in a time that the chat was dead.

I also think that if its a link to say a Freedom forum section I.e outlining where they should post, say introduction threads, or posting the link to support then that's fine by me. However anything that is self promotion or any of those "check out my content" posts on the chat I mostly find myself reporting. The applying it to all chatters could work out, but then how could you tell if a link that was posted was for self promotion, unless you banned them all?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I also think that if its a link to say a Freedom forum section I.e outlining where they should post, say introduction threads, or posting the link to support then that's fine by me. However anything that is self promotion or any of those "check out my content" posts on the chat I mostly find myself reporting. The applying it to all chatters could work out, but then how could you tell if a link that was posted was for self promotion, unless you banned them all?
There usually isn't a need to post a link unless one requests it, in which case it can be taken to a PM.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
There usually isn't a need to post a link unless one requests it, in which case it can be taken to a PM.
True, sometimes it is just easier to post in the chat especially if there are multiple people asking the same thing, but I can see where you are coming from there.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member

Now this is something i can agree to, having a notification pop up once someone post a link in the chat might be a good idea.

Dingo055

New User
Freedom! Member
Mar 5, 2015
Australia
From my experience's in the chat room another more common occurrence are people that create an account, post a link promoting their channel or video, then immediately leaving, hence reporting has no consequence because they are never to be seen again. Even if they were banned by the time it has been dealt with the link is already long gone and whoever would've looked at the link has already and the poster's goals have succeeded.

This is coming back to the idea that unless its a link from with Freedom! or the Forums and maybe perhaps Youtube tools, then the link should only be sent via PM.

stevicity

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2016
Great Britain
citrus.xyz
YouTube
I think we should understand everyone here is looking to expand on YouTube and some people get a bit carried away before discovering the rules and that patience and tolerance are two of the most important virtues one can have; these virtues we can carry forward into this community by accepting new members may not be aware of the rules. I have never read the rules of this forum, it is only the fact I've been using and creating forums since I was 7 years old that I have a general understanding of forum etiquette so I think it is fine to forgive these users and teach them the rules politely to maintain this communities reputation of been a friendly, welcoming community. Also, the chatbox provides instant support for anyone coming to the forums seeking advice and is also a vital tool for those who do not understand how to even use a forum so they can learn how to partake in the community thenceforth in my opinion I would say the chatbox should stay open for all as it as essential tool for new users and helps give them guidance on how to use the forum, instant support and an alternative way of welcoming them to the Freedom! community.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I think we should understand everyone here is looking to expand on YouTube and some people get a bit carried away before discovering the rules and that patience and tolerance are two of the most important virtues one can have; these virtues we can carry forward into this community by accepting new members may not be aware of the rules. I have never read the rules of this forum, it is only the fact I've been using and creating forums since I was 7 years old that I have a general understanding of forum etiquette so I think it is fine to forgive these users and teach them the rules politely to maintain this communities reputation of been a friendly, welcoming community. Also, the chatbox provides instant support for anyone coming to the forums seeking advice and is also a vital tool for those who do not understand how to even use a forum so they can learn how to partake in the community thenceforth in my opinion I would say the chatbox should stay open for all as it as essential tool for new users and helps give them guidance on how to use the forum, instant support and an alternative way of welcoming them to the Freedom! community.

Well i' not saying to close it off for new people I just posed that Freedom could implicate some kind of restriction on it as in my experience many new members just see the chat as a quick was to build up their sub count or to advertise their videos, and further to this they have no intention of reading the rules even when you outline them to the user. Don't get me wrong patience and tolerance are great, and I wouldn't immediately go on the offensive if I say a new member post a link, I normally tell them not to do it and outline it is against the rules, while answering any questions they have about the forum.

stevicity

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2016
Great Britain
citrus.xyz
YouTube
Well i' not saying to close it off for new people I just posed that Freedom could implicate some kind of restriction on it as in my experience many new members just see the chat as a quick was to build up their sub count or to advertise their videos, and further to this they have no intention of reading the rules even when you outline them to the user. Don't get me wrong patience and tolerance are great, and I wouldn't immediately go on the offensive if I say a new member post a link, I normally tell them not to do it and outline it is against the rules, while answering any questions they have about the forum.
I don't know if this is new or if I haven't noticed it but it does say 'read the chat rules before posting' so I guess your wish has been answered? :)

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I get this heaps. I just click the report button. I know it's harsh but then mods can take care of it. Myself and Lawrence are working on ways to improve the forums and awareness of rules/sticky threads. We're also working on restrictions and other stuff. Hope to issue this report document soon.

Pskovanion

Dutch Moderator
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I dont think its possible to set restrictions like that in the chat, although im not 100% sure.
Until we have a solution for this is recommend just reporting said user, we mods can usually deal with it fairly quickly.
You shouldnt feel bad for reporting a new guy. We mods take into account that the accused might be new and usually give out lighter punishment to first-offenders (a normal PM can even do the trick usually).

Ill bring the entire suggestion up the next moderator meeting though!