Does the amount of subscribers on ones channel determine whether you'll subscribe to them?

Kovuix

Kovu Productions
Freedom! Member
Oct 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
What would happen if youtube removed the option of showing the amount of subscribers you have to private ONLY?

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I sub to people with great content I dont care how big they are. I subbed mumbo when he had 10K subs and now he has 700K which is verry hard to believe.

Reactions: Kovuix

allison w

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 4, 2014
YouTube
alleykat112
I only care bout the content that they make and not how many subs they have because in the end your watching them for their content and not how many subs they have changes what their content is

Kovuix

Kovu Productions
Freedom! Member
Oct 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
Doesn't bother me at all, I've subbed to channel with like 5 subs xD Long as they have interesting content that's all that matters.

I'm not really a fan of channels that hide their sub count though, no idea why but they seem suspicious :D

If you already enjoy someone's content and subscribed to them, what's the point of knowing how many subs they have?[DOUBLEPOST=1448378818][/DOUBLEPOST]
I only care bout the content that they make and not how many subs they have because in the end your watching them for their content and not how many subs they have changes what their content is

Totally agree

Last edited:

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
i enjoy many, many different sized channels from yogcast and zoella to people with less then 20 subs because i go on youtube to watch videos people post and not look at numbers in box which in some way is ment to say one channel is better/worse than another?

also even with a big channel (how many subs do they have watch every video) posted?

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
What would happen if youtube removed the option of showing the amount of subscribers you have to private ONLY?
I've had subscribers tell me part of the reason they subbed was because I had a low amount of subs, and they wanted the bragging rights of saying "I was subbed to him when he only had X-amount" later on. So I think it can go either way, though I can certainly see the appeal of hopping aboard an already popular channel. It's easier to get enthusiastic about something when there are lots of other people in it too. People like feeling that they're a part of something large sometimes.

Charles Meekins

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 5, 2014
YouTube
I've had subscribers tell me part of the reason they subbed was because I had a low amount of subs, and they wanted the bragging rights of saying "I was subbed to him when he only had X-amount" later on. So I think it can go either way, though I can certainly see the appeal of hopping aboard an already popular channel. It's easier to get enthusiastic about something when there are lots of other people in it too. People like feeling that they're a part of something large sometimes.

well said sir, well said it's just like singers, tv shows, games, books and more (it really) doesn't matter how many people like it and all but it does certainly help

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
The size doesn't matter to me. I subbed to JackSepticEye back when he wasn't all to big. I found him by looking up VR videos. I felt his content was really good and subbed. Now he is freaking huge o.o ... Who would have thought.

rob blesso

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 31, 2015
YouTube
i have noticed the size does matter it makes you easier to find but its hard to get the ball rolling but its mainly your quality of work that gets you there its quality over quantity

ravenclaw

Freedom! Member
Nov 17, 2015
australia
YouTube
just like Koala_Steamed said, i personally like to check out small channels and be one of the first people to follow them. when they hit it big its a good feeling to know that you were there from the start.

Bush_Baby_Plays

Minecraft Junkie
Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2015
Alabama
YouTube
Sub count doesn't really matter to me. Generally I look at the effort people put in and how much fun they seem to be having. Sometimes if the mic quality is really bad and it just hurts my ears to listen to it, I'll pass them over, but unless you're really prepared when you first start, I doubt there were a lot of YouTubers that started off their channel with a professional mic and all sorts of other cool toys to make their channel look great. Right now my husband and I have to deal with headsets, but we have a Blue Snowball mic coming in a week or so since we found one on sale on amazon and we had enough to afford it. So I go into subbing people with a certain amount of understanding that channels just starting out won't have the very best quality, but sometimes they're really entertaining because they're just having so much fun. Thinking about it, if there had to be a choice made between subbing to a channel with really low subs, mediocre quality audio, but the person was having a lot of fun and a low-sub channel with great equipment but the person sounded bored or just "bleh" I'd rather sub to the one having fun.