YouTube Everything you need to know about YPP changes

Fluxxiee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 20, 2015
YouTube
Hey guys I was curious myself so I found this.

Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization. You can read the full announcement on the YouTube Creator Blog: Additional Changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) to Better Protect Creators.

Previously, the requirement was 10,000 lifetime views. Going forward it will be 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers.
  • If you haven’t yet applied to the YouTube Partner Program: You can apply and we’ll review your application as soon as your channel reaches the new threshold. During the review process, we evaluate your channel activity –things like uploaded videos, strikes, views, subs, and watch time— to ensure it adheres to the YouTube Partner Program policies, YouTube Terms of Service, YouTube spam policies, and our Community Guidelines.

• If your application is currently pending review: We know many of you have pending YPP applications. If you meet the new threshold, your pending application will be reviewed in the next few weeks so look out for an email update around then. If you do not meet the new threshold then your application will be reviewed once you reach the 4,000 watch hours / 1,000 subscribers milestone.

• If you’re currently part of the YouTube Partner Program: This new requirement applies to existing channels who are currently part of the YouTube Partner Program so if you’re below the threshold, you’ll have until February 20th, 2018 before ads stop running on your videos. If you reach the new threshold during the grace period, you will not be removed from the program.

If you reach the new threshold some time between now and February 20th, 2018, you will automatically be re-evaluated for the program (without needing to re-apply). Our YouTube Creator Academy has many tips on how to build your channel, such as how to make great original content and growing your audience.
UPDATE: I’m adding answers to a few questions mentioned below to help clarify. I will continue to update with any other questions!

If I’m in an MCN but my channel has less than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and 1,000 subscribers will I be able to run ads?

Channels that are in an MCN and below this threshold will be released from the MCN. To be an affiliate channel of an MCN, that channel must be a part of YPP, so channels must have more than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and more than 1,000 subscribers to become an MCN affiliate.

What creator features will I lose if I do not meet the new YPP criteria as of Feb 20th?

We can hit the sub criteria if we sub to each others channels! Subscribe to my channel.

While we love supporting other channels, offering to subscribe to another creator’s channel solely in exchange for them subscribing to your channel, also known as "Sub4Sub," is not allowed. Creators who offer such exchanges risk losing subscriber numbers, receiving a Terms of Use strike, or even having their channel terminated.

Do I need 1k subs OR 4k watch hours in the past 12 months? Or do I need both?

Both are needed. If your channel has less than 1k subs OR less than 4k watch hours then it doesn't meet both requirements and will be removed from YPP on Feb 20th.

Do I need 1k subs in the past 12 months or total?

The new requirements are 1k subs TOTAL and 4k watch hours in the past 12 months.

I got an email saying I don’t meet the new criteria. What’s up with this?

Source -
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?noredirect=true#!topic/youtube/A3DoDo-OGyU hope it helps clear things up.

Rockstars 1815

Rising User
Jan 4, 2018
YouTube
Thank you so much for all this info !!
Well I don’t feel affected yet as I’m not part of the YPP program yet.
But I am determined to hit that milestone within the end of 2018.
What are your goals ?

MrCyanGaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
YouTube
I currently have over 4000 hours in the last 12 months, what if I dip slightly below during the "grace period"...

Fluxxiee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 20, 2015
YouTube
I currently have over 4000 hours in the last 12 months, what if I dip slightly below during the "grace period"...

Nothing you won’t get unlinked and you can stay a partner. You obviously have over 1k subs and it’s 4,000 hours watch time over 12 months it won’t dip. You should be fine.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube

I believe from what I heard if you dip under for even a short period you should be fine as long as you are able to get back over the mark. I didn't really hear how long you'd have though but you aren't immediately removed for falling under 4000 hours or falling to 999 subscribers for a day or two.