"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
So I got back from Uni today to find this on my video manager

So yea........this sucks.

Most of the videos flagged as not advertiser friendly have nothing I'd consider to be a problem. Like even a video recourse I give out with friendly gameplay got flagged which is kinda funny. Its not like I earn anything anyways cause of the 10K view requirement for monitisation.

So really they are just flagging videos. I can say though their system for reviewing videos is designed to be against smaller YouTubers...well more of less. As the requirement for a review is 1K views in 24-48 hours, Yea like that's gonna happen on a 5 month old video which only got 50 views tops anyways.

In summary I can see why many channels are getting mad at YT and I agree with them, a good example of how bad it can get would be Ace The Ocerina Maker (Channel Link) who is really struggling because of the bad system YouTube has introduced here.

Hopefully YouTube (well google) will actually do something about this system and make it a lot easier to manage and stop people losing out of revenue.​

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
At the end of the day its a mass flag system run over all of YouTube so there is bound to be some things that do comply with the advertiser guidelines but due to meta data, such as tags / titles / descriptions this still gets flagged. While I'm not justifying or defending YT here, and while I do think the appeal process needs to be looked at for smaller channels, it is another one of those things that came out of the ad-pocalypse. While videos are flagged as 'not suitable for all advertisers' it doesn't mean that no ads show on those videos, just that it would be a smaller selection and as such you (people effected, not just you) would earn less revenue then before on those videos.

I, like many other YouTubers, have been hit by this but in its current state there isn't much we can do about it, especially when this is flagged up by even things such as game titles.

Reactions: Jonathan

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
This is how I'm feeling as well. I've gone as far as to make sure I beep out swear words and in general make it somewhat family friendly. But I get this as well. And it's not like you can request a review as the video needs to make at least 1000 views within the first week to be eligible. It's an odd system which we're all feeling the effects from. All we can do now is see if Youtube can fine tune this auto system to look deeper into the content and not scan over one thing and right away deem it unsafe.

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
I can't comprehend the idea on how many other channels get mass flagged with "unfriendly advertisement" - because the content I have on my channel is considered violent, and where I murder people left and right, none of the videos I own are flagged and none of the videos have the yellow symbol, which comes to an idea that I have, it could be the tags that you are using? The title? It could be anything... The bot doesn't watch your video, it reads the description, tags and title, meanwhile when it comes to that 3, I have used "Murder" in the description in the past, but there hasn't been any issue either, so it raises some "red flags" in my mind and makes me wonder about how can I pass and others cannot? There is a LOT that can be why isn't my channel under the flag or flagged... It could be subs, it could be views, I have no idea.

Blucky

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2015
Australia
YouTube
BluckyTV
I can see how they are just covering themselves at this point BUT it is legit just a bunch banned words and if you happen to use one in your title.... well you are going to get hit :/ I just spent 3 day making one of my videos where I vlogged my 21st in Vegas. I happened to visit the gun range and because of that and putting "Shooting" / "gun" in the title I got flagged..... And there is no way YouTube is going to help a small channel like me so I guess I have to live with it ahaha

Reactions: Fluffy and Jonathan

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
So I got back from Uni today to find this on my video manager

So yea........this sucks.

Most of the videos flagged as not advertiser friendly have nothing I'd consider to be a problem. Like even a video recourse I give out with friendly gameplay got flagged which is kinda funny. Its not like I earn anything anyways cause of the 10K view requirement for monitisation.

So really they are just flagging videos. I can say though their system for reviewing videos is designed to be against smaller YouTubers...well more of less. As the requirement for a review is 1K views in 24-48 hours, Yea like that's gonna happen on a 5 month old video which only got 50 views tops anyways.

In summary I can see why many channels are getting mad at YT and I agree with them, a good example of how bad it can get would be Ace The Ocerina Maker (Channel Link) who is really struggling because of the bad system YouTube has introduced here.

Hopefully YouTube (well google) will actually do something about this system and make it a lot easier to manage and stop people losing out of revenue.​
I have had some of my video's get a yellow icon wich 3 days later turned back green, the once that didn't i appealed and even though they are below the view marge it still reverted to green.

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
I can see how they are just covering themselves at this point BUT it is legit just a bunch banned words and if you happen to use one in your title.... well you are going to get hit :/ I just spent 3 day making one of my videos where I vlogged my 21st in Vegas. I happened to visit the gun range and because of that and putting "Shooting" / "gun" in the title I got flagged..... And there is no way YouTube is going to help a small channel like me so I guess I have to live with it ahaha

I have a video which title is "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Walkthrough/Gameplay w/SannuG Part 51 "Killing the Legendary Graug""

Notice how it has "Killing" in it? And before the monetization was removed from my channel, it was green and never got reverted to yellow...

"Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Walkthrough/Gameplay w/SannuG Part 7 "Trying to kill an Uruk!""

Same on this Title, it has "Kill" in it...

there are few on my channel that has kill on it, none of them were flagged...

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
At the end of the day its a mass flag system run over all of YouTube so there is bound to be some things that do comply with the advertiser guidelines but due to meta data, such as tags / titles / descriptions this still gets flagged............

yea, I've had flags on a video that's not even public, though I can see why it may have been flagged for the word "errorist", which in the game is the resistance movement's name. They could be a lot clearer on what types of topics will be flagged and maybe automatically review videos that are categorised as gaming for instance.
This is how I'm feeling as well. I've gone as far as to make sure I beep out swear words and in general make it somewhat family friendly.......

Well as I don't swear in my videos (or in real life) I don't have that problem. I use words like Fudge or crumbs instead. Its clear when they though of the system they were only thinking of the well established channels who have been around for a while and have a good viewer base.
I can't comprehend the idea on how many other channels get mass flagged with "unfriendly advertisement" - because the content I have on my channel is considered violent, and where I murder people left and right, none of the videos I own are flagged and none of the videos have the yellow symbol,........

Well as it only just got me it seems to be going through channels as and when, just going from title and tags isn't really a good way to flag a video in my opinion.
I can see how they are just covering themselves at this point BUT it is legit just a bunch banned words and if you happen to use one in your title....

yea, know the feeling, though I'm surprised on what got flagged and what didn't, I would've though my "A Pyro With A Sword" videos would have been flagged but no. just the shenanigans one that doesn't even use the word sword in its title did get flagged.
I have had some of my video's get a yellow icon wich 3 days later turned back green, the once that didn't i appealed and even though they are below the view marge it still reverted to green.

I'll be keeping tabs on them anyways, I did request review on one to see what would happen, nothing yet though that was yesterday.
I'd say, it's the auto flagged by the name of the video. "Kill" and "Pyro", it seems to hunt down certain words.

I don't think it does "Pyro" otherwise several other videos would've been flagged like my "A Pyro With A Sword" videos. "Kill" could be in there I guess.

Hyderpony

Community Team
Community Team!
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
May 19, 2017
London
YouTube
GallopCrush1983
Do have one video that got flagged when it found a swear word within the subtitle, but it was the Autogenerated subtitles and most of the times it does not get it right.

Like I know I did not say this.

Reactions: Fluffy
C

Corpfox

I can understand when my Max Payne 3 videos are flagged but when I have 8 TF2 montages flagged out of 90, such baloney.

Fluffy

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2014
California
YouTube
FluffysGames
One of the most frustrating parts has been having flagged-then-cleared videos re-flagged.

I'm not kidding. I've gone through:

0. post-adpocalypse - everything is fine
1. adpocalypse hits - having numerous (700+) videos flagged
2. mass-requesting manual reviews
3. waiting
4. having most (not all, but most) of those videos cleared
5. having them get flagged again
6. mass-requesting manual reviews (again)
7. having them get cleared (again)

The above flip-flopping has happened with numerous videos, including (but not limited to) my Unreal Tournament 3 series, Parasite Eve (1) series, Parasite Eve II series, Command & Conquer series' (both Nod & GDI), and many others.

https://twitter.com/FluffysGames/status/910696822242291713
https://twitter.com/FluffysGames/status/911749150676414469 (3 days after the above)

I don't think YouTube knows what their algorithm is doing, nor do they care.

I can understand when my Max Payne 3 videos are flagged but when I have 8 TF2 montages flagged out of 90, such baloney.

I've seen the same on my channel - the vast majority of my Dead Space videos are fine, only 2/33 are flagged as not advertiser friendly. Sure, it's a bloody, gory, horror-ish game, which involves shooting the limbs of freakin' aliens, and has some pretty brutal death scenes. What I don't get is why are only 2 being caught, and the other 31 are fine? Shouldn't they all be flagged?

In short, I agree - these decisions make no sense, and have no consistency.

Last edited:

Vango

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 25, 2016
Canada
YouTube
VangoGaming
It hasn't really impacted me a huge amount, so I don't have an opinion on it, but I noticed that the videos which include any sort of swearing, even mild, would get flagged (It wasn't the title, because it didn't have any trigger words), but this system definitely needs to be worked on ASAP

pinaypencilart

Respected User
Freedom! Member
They've been flagging my art videos and vlog videos. I do cooking shows and travel vlogs. All family friendly stuff. My art videos are timelapse with music in the background.

I don't understand why they've been flagging my stuff. I dispute every one, and eventually they lift it but this is getting annoying.

As I understand it, when your stuff has been flagged, youtube still shows ads on it but you don't get paid for them.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
They've been flagging my art videos and vlog videos. I do cooking shows and travel vlogs. All family friendly stuff. My art videos are timelapse with music in the background.

I don't understand why they've been flagging my stuff. I dispute every one, and eventually they lift it but this is getting annoying.

As I understand it, when your stuff has been flagged, youtube still shows ads on it but you don't get paid for them.
Getting things flagged will reduce the ads being shown or no ads will show. So in your case if ads are being shown you will still get some revenue from this but not all types of advertisements will show so you wouldn't as much as you would normally do