Headset vs. Microphone Recording

NotSinbad

New User
Nov 27, 2015
Microphone is a better quality, i would use it over a headset if i ever bought one.

tldr. Microphone has better quality than a headset if you get a decent one

Reactions: SgtSprinkles

Goober Games

New User
Nov 26, 2015
In my opinion, a microphone is better for recording voice because though headsets have a built-in mic, the quality of it isn't very good for recording voice, headset mics are ok for talking to people in game though.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Microphone is better, however I am not going to kiss the microphone just to get my voice be heard. So I will stick to the Headset.
You shouldn't have to kiss any microphone if you have gain at the right levels and project your voice. Add compression and normalization on top of that and you can get a sweet quality. The ideal distance is 6-9 inches from your face anyway.

UlTiMaTuM

Probably an Árse O.
Freedom! Member
Apr 8, 2014
YouTube
Depends.
-If you have a $20 mic and high grade headphones(let's say Astro a50) the obvious choice would be the Astros.
-If you have a $100+ mic(blue yeti, snowball etc) and a $20 headset, the mic would obviously be better.
-If you have both a high grade headset and mic, then I'd go with the mic.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I use the mod mic. It's a separate mic that you can attach to any headphones or headset. Quality wise it's comparable to the Blue snowball, which is amazing for a headset mic.

RangerElite

Nov 2, 2015
Thanks for the tips guys ! :D
You guys are AMAZING ![DOUBLEPOST=1449155731][/DOUBLEPOST]I guess I'll just use my blue yeti.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Depends.
-If you have a $20 mic and high grade headphones(let's say Astro a50) the obvious choice would be the Astros.
-If you have a $100+ mic(blue yeti, snowball etc) and a $20 headset, the mic would obviously be better.
-If you have both a high grade headset and mic, then I'd go with the mic.
What if you have $100+ mic (Blue Yeti) and $100+ headphones (Razer Kraken 7.1)?

Nah, I kid. Once you get into the high price range, standalone microphones are the way to go.

Almost Gamers

Rising User
May 18, 2015
YouTube
Yeah if you have a blue yeti I would use thats mics are always the tops plus you can have more than one person doing commentary if you do it right

TotalGamerHolic

Distinguished User
Nov 4, 2014
US, Ohio
YouTube
I use a Blue Yeti and its been the best quality mic I've ever used. I've used Logitech and Turtle Beach brand headsets in the past, and there was one Logitech headset I especially liked for the audio quality I got, but Yeti has been the best.

SgtSprinkles

New User
Dec 4, 2015
YouTube
Microphone.

Have you tried to eat messy food with a headset mic? Its always in the way :p Just recently got a Snowball but wish I got the Yeti burning the cyber Monday sales but oh well. All and all my audio from my current vs old is a lot different. Though I need to make sure that headphones are being worn cause TV feedback prbs

Reactions: RangerElite

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Well Microphones are definitely higher quality but that doesn't mean all headsets are bad either. I've used a headset microphone for almost 2 years now and it's gotten by for me pretty well I'd say.

Reactions: RangerElite