New banner

Now, I tell this to everyone. Banners will always loo better if you put a layer style on them. You can download a layer style pack for free anywhere. The text is the only thing that you can really approve because its a apparently a clean banner but the black is just making the words stand-out TOO much. Other than that the background looks good and hope you take my tips into consideration.

~LaunchArts

Sam4jedi

Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2015
YouTube
Now, I tell this to everyone. Banners will always loo better if you put a layer style on them. You can download a layer style pack for free anywhere. The text is the only thing that you can really approve because its a apparently a clean banner but the black is just making the words stand-out TOO much. Other than that the background looks good and hope you take my tips into consideration.

~LaunchArts
I dont use photoshop I use old paint.net

thanks for the tips though, I may be able to get it in the future

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
I dont use photoshop I use old paint.net

thanks for the tips though, I may be able to get it in the future
You should try using GIMP if you aren't going to use Photoshop, which would be you best bet. GIMP is free and open source :D

As for you banner well here are a few tips. You want the main focus of your banner to be your username, you want this to stand out. Although you have used a contrast of colors I think the black glow around it makes it look worse. I also think the test is to big.

~LaunchArts

I've always personally avoided layer style packs. Mostly because the ones I found looked to complex. Neat, clean and simple is my style :D

PunkJax

Freedom! Member
Oct 4, 2015
NYC
youtube.com
YouTube
Plain 100% black letters on a colored background = no-no.
Black letters with black drop shadow or black glow = double no-no!
I suggest looking up tutorials on cool things you can do with text in GIMP. Yeah, Paint.net can be useful for stuff like editing photos, but it is super limited for graphics.

The text gets too close to the borders of the "banner" area. Either make the text smaller so it has breathing room or take the risk and make it bigger so the banner crops off the letters. I suggest the former because pulling off the latter correctly is harder.

As for "layer style packs", I'm personally super against them but they are a valuable asset for beginners to learn through. Not sure if they have GIMP ones, but it's worth a google search.