What Processor is better Intel or AMD

Figama

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 1, 2016
YouTube
Hi guys I'm looking to buy a new computer but I'm wondering what processor is better Intel or AMD For Gaming

Reactions: Nuke

Dark Xeno

Freedom! Member
This is an age old question, that many fanboys will fight about. But it really comes down to your budget and where you see your build down the road. I have never had an issue with AMD chips in any of my builds, I am sure someone will come a long and say one or the other is the way to go. You will get more use out of a high end graphics card over fighting about CPUs, since that is used more in high end gaming. Just as long as you are buying a quad core chip and I say to make sure you have 8 gigs of ram.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Hi guys I'm looking to buy a new computer but I'm wondering what processor is better Intel or AMD For Gaming
There's not a huge difference, except the price tag really. Some have maybe a 5% difference in speed but really nowadays there hasn't been any huge innovations for either company so it's pretty much a tie with the hardware part of it.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
There's not a huge difference, except the price tag really. Some have maybe a 5% difference in speed but really nowadays there hasn't been any huge innovations for either company so it's pretty much a tie with the hardware part of it.
But in my builds for my business (TechCyberster.com) I almost always use AMD because it's stable and usually $20-60 cheaper than it's Intel counterpart.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Well there is pros and cons for both sides. AMD seems to run hotter. While most Intel aren't overclockable unless they are unlocked ones.
I've never had an AMD get hot, stock fan or aftermarket fan. As for overclocking an Intel processor I have no idea to be honest, but I do know that most can't be over clocked right out of the box.

Christopher643

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 21, 2015
U.S.A
wolfydesign.weebly.com
YouTube
I've never had an AMD get hot, stock fan or aftermarket fan. As for overclocking an Intel processor I have no idea to be honest, but I do know that most can't be over clocked right out of the box.
Well my AMD chip rn burns steadily hot. Even with an after market cooler on it. It'll stay at a constant 75C Under full load. That's 10C off of when this chip will just shut itself off to make sure it doesn't fry the chip.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Here you go... http://m.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Btw I have an amd 8350 which works great for all traditional games...

But I need to upgrade to a high end intel i7 soon because VR takes alot of cpu power to do the motion tracking and physics

TeamRespawn

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2015
YouTube
I seem to think that while AMD usually has a higher clock speed than Intel CPUs, AMDs run slower at multi threaded applications. So if a program is designed to use all 4 cores of your processor, Intel will be better. But if you are running single threaded applications that only use 1 core, AMD is better. But that doesnt mean AMD makes bad CPUs. They are generally much cheaper and their FX series is excellent. Used an AMD A10 in my last build and it was a great CPU.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I seem to think that while AMD usually has a higher clock speed than Intel CPUs, AMDs run slower at multi threaded applications. So if a program is designed to use all 4 cores of your processor, Intel will be better. But if you are running single threaded applications that only use 1 core, AMD is better. But that doesnt mean AMD makes bad CPUs. They are generally much cheaper and their FX series is excellent. Used an AMD A10 in my last build and it was a great CPU.
Yeah I have an a10 build as well with no video card at all and it actually runs most modern games. I was impressed with it too.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Well my AMD chip rn burns steadily hot. Even with an after market cooler on it. It'll stay at a constant 75C Under full load. That's 10C off of when this chip will just shut itself off to make sure it doesn't fry the chip.
That's not good at all... but I've never experienced that with my use of AMD processors so I have no ides how to solve that issue, lol.

Terry Smith

Aug 31, 2015
YouTube
for a general purpose or all around gaming PC, AMD chips are perfectly fine for the job. But as of right now, AMD chips are gaining a bit of traction again due to the DX12 and Vulkan apis. Lower level access means increases in performance across the board. So, some of those 3-4 year olf AMD FX cpus are are to keep up with some modern day skylake i5s.

BUT! With today's market, I can't recommend AMD right now. Not because they're a bad product, but because their new line of Zen CPUs are launching soon(tm). And with them comes a new, unified socket for both lines of APUs and CPUs (socket AM4), native PCI-E 3.0 support, and whole slew of newer features that intel boards have had for a number of years.

So as of right now if all you're doing is gaming, and all you're doing is gaming, go with the intel i5 (the non k 6600 or 6500 is great too). If you're going for a gaming machine that also will be doing some editing workloads, then I say go with the i7 6700 (the non k is just fine as well. But, I do suggest you get a Z170 motherboard so you can always upgrade to a 'K' chip so you can overclock it, if you want.

just my two cents...

Terry Smith

Aug 31, 2015
YouTube

i suggest you take a look at your cpu heatsink to make sure it's making adequate contact to the cpu's IHS. also, it may be time to apply some new thermal compound to the cpu. my personal choice is arctic silver 5.

good luck

niofalpha

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2016
Florida
YouTube
niofalpa
This is backwards. Intel CPU's are better at both, especially In Single Threaded Applications where Intel processors excell by a much larger margin. AMD's processors compete better in Multithreaded workloads (Since they have more "Cores".), but still usually underperform compared to Intel. Also raw clock speed =/= Better. It's pointless to compare clock speeds between architectures, due to things like IpC and Lithography.

OP, if it's not too late I recommend getting a used i5, i7 or Xeon off Ebay. If you do end up with AMD, get an 8350.