What recorder do you use?

BossMello4K

New User
Sep 30, 2016
YouTube
With the mass amount of recording software on the market, what do you use? Do you like it or not? What features does it have? I am doing this thread to give other potential software buys the best bang for their buck.

So I use Action! recorder. It gives me options to record ingame, screenplay, or curtain areas on the screen. I can live stream on it because it is also a live streaming software. Heck I can even access my webcam off of it.. I like it because of the versatility and control I have over my videos when using it. The cost was $50 for the commercial license, but for a normal at home version goes for 30

Terry Smith

Aug 31, 2015
YouTube
obs studio. free and open source, great control over everything when it comes to video and audio quality, local saving and streaming, everything xsplit does but no pay wall behind any features.

UncleGravy

Freedom! Member
Mar 3, 2016
Wales
YouTube
Uncle_Gravy
I can't recommend OBS enough, its a free and versatile piece of software, as Terry mentions, you have great control of V/A quality, The choice to record/stream in any res at any fps and many many other features that allow you to enhance your recording/stream such as camera placement and hotkeys to switch between certain scenes you've created.

Reactions: Terry Smith

gunsage

Freedom! Member
Normally I would do Nvidia Shadowplay, but it's gone to crap ever since it became Nvidia Share (at least for me), so I use OBS. However, something weird happened with the last update and recordings have been hit or miss. Good news is it only seems to happen in full screen mode, so if the game is windowed, it records fine. Not sure what's up with that, but there you go.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
With the mass amount of recording software on the market, what do you use? Do you like it or not? What features does it have? I am doing this thread to give other potential software buys the best bang for their buck.

So I use Action! recorder. It gives me options to record ingame, screenplay, or curtain areas on the screen. I can live stream on it because it is also a live streaming software. Heck I can even access my webcam off of it.. I like it because of the versatility and control I have over my videos when using it. The cost was $50 for the commercial license, but for a normal at home version goes for 30
I use OBS and Elgato Game capture for console. OBS eats more RAM and CPU usually but it does get the job done.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I use Shadowplay, free, works great.

Used to use fraps for highest quality.
But since I switched to VR I couldent run fraps at the same time anymore.

Shadowplay runs using the video card so it doesnt slow down my fps as much as fraps did.

xAlphaMercx

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 24, 2016
YouTube
HilkerbaumerT
I currently use the on system live stream service on my ps4 and want to boost my professionalism for my live streams so I am thinking about getting an Elgato. But my only concern is that I don't have good fan base on twitch like I do on YouTube. Can I use the Elgato to stream to YouTube?

D

Deleted member 17740

I've tired quite a few in my time, OBS; xsplit; fraps , however personally i use an Avermedia liove gamer portable to record.

StormMoreno

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio, United States
YouTube
StormMoreno
I use OBS studio for recording video and it's very good at getting its job done. OBS Studio is a bit confusing with some of its settings but you can look it up on YouTube and little with some things. I also use Audacity to record my microphone so I can have it on a different track for editing.

D

Deleted member 17740

looking at this, i might give obs studios again

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
Personally I use OBS for gaming video and it's audio. In addition I also use Audacity for my audio. Really good to get rid of microphone noise and make your voice stand out. From there I edit in Premier which is the only thing that costs money.

But overall OBS and Audacity are a great combo i've noticed. I also use Shadowplay which is directly from the GeForce video card and doesn't put a lot of strain on your CPU, but the video will be huge depending on your settings. That's about it.