Why I'm leaving Freedom!

TheKevit07

Freedom! Member
Jun 25, 2015
YouTube
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I plan to unlink myself from Freedom! Most people won't notice, which is just fine, but I wanted to point some things out before I officially hit the button and leave permanently in the next 30 days.

First off, I will caps this for emphasis: I AM NOT LEAVING BECAUSE I'M MAD/DISAPPOINTED, I'M LEAVING FOR PERSONAL REASONS! However, being here for almost a year, I've seen no growth that I haven't done through my own actions, not the MCN helping me in terms of connections/exposure/tools and information to help my channel. The subs I DID get through this MCN was through other content creators that unsubbed 48 hours after subbing (sub4sub should be addressed as always, George...if you're reading). I know people will say, "Well you get only get what you put into the MCN." Granted, I haven't been around much to help/receive help, but anybody that's read my posts know I have terrible internet, making uploading consistently near-impossible, and collaborations impossible. That's not the MCN's fault, since I expected to have better internet 6 months ago, which is why I'm not holding anything against Freedom.

I will lay down some truth for any new people coming: this is a good MCN to start, no doubt about it. The community is what kept me here as long as I've stayed, and actually felt reluctant to even WANT to leave (seriously, most friendly people I've ever met on the internet, let alone people I've met in person). As it stands, I can't upload regularly to keep subs around, so why stick around here for Freedom to get an 80% cut for something they can't even help me with due to my internet restrictions? It's nothing to gain for Freedom, and everything to lose for me...no matter how big or small the income, it's SOMETHING that I'm grateful for, and thank my fans every chance I get.

Unlinking adds some new opportunities for me: it lets me de-monetize my videos so people can watch for their entertainment without having to deal with ads (even though the majority of people that watch have ad-block)...I can add fan funding, which allows me to see my REAL fans, and get an idea of where I stand on my channel in terms of changing content. I can do what I love without feeling pressure to upload on days I have off, but don't feel like doing anything but sitting and relaxing (I work 50 hours a week, sometimes I want to enjoy my 1 day off a week, and not feel guilty about it).

I wish Freedom would add fan funding, and allow me to de-monetize, but it won't, and it's okay because I understand the demands of today's channels...and I just can't meet them with my supply. It's not the MCN's fault, that's mine.

I really wish the best for all the channels that run into this, and I wouldn't mind trying to help if they ask for it through my socials (I made it so I'm not that hard to find), since I have YEARS of experience in business and know how to run one successfully, when given the proper tools to do so...but a YouTube channel right now is next to impossible to keep afloat given my setback that I mentioned earlier. I hope in the next year, I can rejoin since I plan to move to Texas by then, and have internet that I can upload regularly with. But for now, I don't want to feel the pressure of an MCN breathing down my neck every day I have off, and I want to focus on my work instead (some people will say there is no pressure, but there is for someone like me, who always wants to do their best for any group they're a part of).

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Unlinking adds some new opportunities for me: it lets me de-monetize my videos so people can watch for their entertainment without having to deal with ads
I want to address this point.
YouTube actually prioritizes in SEO the videos that have monetization enabled.

You can see at the left is the day I left monetizing off, then up until the last line from the left, it kept gaining places it search.
Finally it's started to recede, but due to more content being released with similar tags.

It would be in your best interested for you to keep your videos monetized, but you could prefix it in the future with "proceeds will go to charity" or something as a way of still receiving nothing from it and promoting good will from it.

TheKevit07

Freedom! Member
Jun 25, 2015
YouTube
I want to address this point.
YouTube actually prioritizes in SEO the videos that have monetization enabled.

You can see at the left is the day I left monetizing off, then up until the last line from the left, it kept gaining places it search.
Finally it's started to recede, but due to more content being released with similar tags.

It would be in your best interested for you to keep your videos monetized, but you could prefix it in the future with "proceeds will go to charity" or something as a way of still receiving nothing from it and promoting good will from it.
I appreciate the information, however it's not like I'm making a ton of money anyways. An inconsistent uploading schedule means people don't know when the next video comes out, and watch less...leaving my ad income a joke (Youtube says about 35 cents, but I really get about 7 after Freedom, making monetization nearly moot at this juncture). It's something to think about in the coming months- monetize and donate what I make from ads, and take fan funding and save it for future giveaways (or help pay for them, anyways). Regardless, thank you for the information. To be honest I was never good with SEO, and is on the top os the list of things to research in the coming months.

Reactions: Nolan Westmore