Why people dont read manga ?

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
Okay so i have this asumption that noone these days reads manga (Outside of japan i mean), whenever I post about manga here or whenever I talk with friends about manga I get almost the same ansver... Silence.

So I'd like to ask you guys, why do you think that is ? I mean I do know the advantages of anime over manga, but i can personally list a lot more good sides for manga too, so what exactly is making people to dismiss manga without even trying :/ ?

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
I wasn't a Manga reader too. I always watched the anime because it appealed ne more then reading. But when i heard Naruto was far ahead in the Manga and the Bleach anime stopped but the Manga continued was the reason to start reading it. In my personal opinion watching a episode is more fun then reading a manga chapter but nowadays i do both for certain series.

Cool Joe

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 8, 2015
YouTube
In all honesty I think it people would rather watch something then read it. For example more people have seen the movies to Harry Potter then actually reading the books. I always liked reading thing like The Hitchhikes Guide to the Galaxy, Of Mice and Men, Ready Player One, ect. so I always was reading manga or even a graphic novel if you will. I just think sometimes that people are lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8-Bit-Relic

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
In fairness Japanese pop culture is stained by cheap mass products like YuGiOh or Beyblade... The product advertisement anime series are just getting worse which each season. These kind of stories give the whole market a bad reputation.

Several things are also hard to translate into western culture as people in mangas are behaving in not western ways for obvious reasons. This alienates many viewers. However, if something is heavily americanised you can`t sell it anywhere else as the rest of the world would just be annoyed. In fairness I have watched Dragonball in German, French, Japanese and even Italian but I can`t stand the American version. The soundtrack is often too loud and the whole show is much louder than for other markets and is also extremely censored. The product needs therefore multiple localisation to be suit the needs of the viewership in several markets.

Localisation is an issue due to language barrier. There are not many gifted writers out there who can translate the Japanese original and convert it in an interested way. However, many items are just lost in translation even if the language is using the same puns but they won`t have the same cultural knowledge. f.e. Europe has a man on the moon and not a hare.

It is also confusing that some stuff is just translated in items the audience knows. Sailormoon has never eaten any rice balls on German television even if you see her holding something in her hand which doesn`t match the translation. This can also cause at some point confusion in case not the same translation was chosen.

The good mangas are intended for a mature audience. These kind of market is a niche which only a few US and European readers recognise as such. It is part of Western culture that adults prefer books over comics.

Japan also doesn`t do much effort to export culture. Keeping centuries of isolation in mind it is still a country which has issues to open itself. Japanese have also issues adapting other cultures which makes it difficult to negotiate with Japanese if you don`t want to adapt either.

See also the pricing for the things... When I was a teen I could afford to get hundreds of pages (we got in Germany in the 80s and 90s several issues of US comics in one cheap issue) of comics for my pocket money. (No, I haven`t received much) The comics nowadays are just 20 - 39 pages strong and cost the same amount... This has also raised the price of manga comics which makes it less attractive or me.

I reckon these are some of the reasons why Japanese comics aren`t as successful outside of Japan as they are over there.

I still like some authors like Katsuhiro Otomo or Yoshito Usui....
However, beside these authors I consider most manga to silly for myself and prefer a live action adaption like the excellent Thermae Romae 2.
I might now also shock the audience but I also had some hard times liking Attack on Titan... but I still want to see the movies... Well, maybe it is my age.

Reactions: Nerd

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
@8-Bit-Relic thats one hell of a post ! (y) (Y)

I do agree with your points, but it is kind of sad when people go to such lenghts when it comes to anime but ignores manga and light novels that the said anime is based on, I dont know maybe its just me but I enjoy reading "comics" almost more than i do watching anime, well except the cases where actions are more important than the story.

Reactions: 8-Bit-Relic

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I read manga but I think people dont really read it because it isnt well known. Hell people had to tell me that it was a thing otherwise I wouldnt be reading it now.

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
@8-Bit-Relic thats one hell of a post ! (y) (Y)

I do agree with your points, but it is kind of sad when people go to such lenghts when it comes to anime but ignores manga and light novels that the said anime is based on, I dont know maybe its just me but I enjoy reading "comics" almost more than i do watching anime, well except the cases where actions are more important than the story.

In fairness I have stopped reading manga when the German version of discontinued. My Japanese isn`t good enough to read any new Mangas in a style as they were intended to be read. I can find the anime of some shows I like but I can`t get the comics. Therefore I watch Ultimate Muscle in English, Shinchan in German, Gintama and Gon in Japanese which subs...
However, I don`t have any access to stories which are interesting for adults but can get sometimes access to movies like Tokyo Tribe or Suicide Club which French subtitles...
If the dudes don`t gimme what I want to read I don`t read.

Bryan

Tech YouTuber!
Freedom! Member
To be honest, I don't read manga because I'm too lazy to get a physical copy xD

Even though I can get it for free in libraries or just buy it, I rather not.

The anime/manga series I'm attached to right now is Dragon Ball, the original (without the Z). Loving it, too lazy to get the manga though. If I had them, I would read them. But I'm still loving the anime!

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
^yeah if that wasnt there I wouldnt be able to read all these series (its hard to find any complete series besides mainstream ones in the stores here)

Will

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 20, 2014
Reading the manga for a series is usually for when you actually like the story or want more details, buuut reading the manga I think is a LOT more enjoyable since some studios can really mess up a fantastic series.

Reactions: Nerd

Savannah

Renowned User
Jul 12, 2015
YouTube
I would love to start reading Manga, but anything foreign in the States tends to be more expensive. I can't afford to drop $20 on a book right now. Besides the money issue, reading a Manga seems a bit difficult which could account for why many people don't read them when they do have the money to buy them.

Generic Baka

Otaku Lord and Saviour
Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
YouTube
I love manga. Especially for series that have been capped off on the anime (usually in a bad way) and continue in the manga. Same goes for light novels.