YouTube Red....

AverageRageGamer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2015
YouTube
Are we FKED?

Please don't merge this. I would like to know your thoughts. Are we not gonna get paid anymore?

I don't know what to think. I read what I could but it's just people talking about it. Maybe someone here can break it down a bit for me. Thanks in advance.

William Chamberlain

Head of Ad Sales
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2014
United Kingdom
google.com
YouTube
What I think is, this does not mean content creators need to subscribe to YouTube Red. What I believe is being conveyed is that when YouTube Red is released there will probably be a new set of Terms and Conditions to agree to, and when you monetize you will be asked if you comply with the subscription service. You must comply if you want to continue monetizing your videos, this isn't too much of a big deal for creators as it might seem. A lot fewer people will be using this service than you think, and even if a lot of your audience use it you should be well compensated financially.

However if this does mean a $9.99 per month charge to upload public videos... then this is not good news.

Reactions: RyanSellers

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
From what I understand, it doesn't really change much on the creators end. Rather than getting paid through ads when they view your video, you will get paid through that person's paid subscription. How they split it though is the big question.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
All I know is I am really freaking annoyed that I can't use youtube gaming and now youtube red... REALLY Cheesed }:#

Pewds just dropped a trailer for a youtube red original series...

So I guess youtube red will also have exclusive content... this could be huge.

And we're not invited...

I don't even get it... actually...
Is it a totally different service...
Cause I read that only the top 1% of youtubers had to sign the terms...

So I don't know what's going on...

Last edited:

Brinkbabe91

Renowned User
Jan 22, 2015
YouTube
Brinkbabe91
So wait did Freedom Opt In for us then? I herd that your network has to opt in if your with one.
What I think is, this does not mean content creators need to subscribe to YouTube Red. What I believe is being conveyed is that when YouTube Red is released there will probably be a new set of Terms and Conditions to agree to, and when you monetize you will be asked if you comply with the subscription service. You must comply if you want to continue monetizing your videos, this isn't too much of a big deal for creators as it might seem. A lot fewer people will be using this service than you think, and even if a lot of your audience use it you should be well compensated financially.

However if this does mean a $9.99 per month charge to upload public videos... then this is not good news.
I didn't hear anything about having to pay to upload public videos. That doesn't sound like anything I have read about on this.

MisterUltimate

Freedom! Member
I posted this in the thread under support, but I'll add it here too. In case anyone still has questions, they published a YouTube Red FAQ.

The important things are that [1] you can still monetize as you normally would, [2] no matter where you or your MCN is based your videos will be included as long as they are available for viewing in the US, and [3] revenue from YouTube Red is based on the percentage of total watch time that Red subscribers spend viewing your videos.

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube
i did my math on this. let think this as 3 group of people. before hand it was only 2 group. you got group a, this group hate ads and dont want to pay youtube. group b, hate ads or love ads but cool with paying for free ads or they already paying for google limited music. than you got group c, dealing with ads and dont want to pay to youtube. this is about 66%
before hand. it use to be 2 group. group a will block ads and group b deal with ads. that about 50%

even if you do or dont see it. my guess this is going up profit for youtube, music, and youtuber who make video. it is win for everyone. it is not true fix to ads block, but it going help in long run. youtube making new set rule due they want be fair to everyone.

now for imported message to user who use adblock. STOP USING IT! Your driving cost up!

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube
this photo what it may look like. now i dont think this on all video just yet. but i do see this on music video.

Last edited:

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Now for important message to user who uses adblock. STOP USING IT! Your driving cost up!

Now an important message for those who use non-skippable ads. STOP USING THEM.

Seriously though, non-skippable and long-non-skippable ads drive up the usership of adblock. We, the people, don't want to have to sit through advertisements and get right to the concert.
My thoughts on such, long non-skips are evil, non-skips are semi-evil, and midplay ads are the purest/most complete kind of YouTube related evil. All of which drive up the usership of adblock.

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube

Seriously though, non-skippable and long-non-skippable ads drive up the usership of adblock. We, the people, don't want to have to sit through advertisements and get right to the concert.
My thoughts on such, long non-skips are evil, non-skips are semi-evil, and midplay ads are the purest/most complete kind of YouTube related evil. All of which drive up the usership of adblock.
this why i am smart. i dont use non skip ads or long ads. i am however cool with ads at end of the video.

William Chamberlain

Head of Ad Sales
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2014
United Kingdom
google.com
YouTube

I can say honestly that you shouldn't criticise people who use non skip ads, criticise companies that make bad ads. Non skip ads are only up to 30 seconds so it's not exactly a huge amount of time, and most are less than 20... Using them is very important part of generating revenue as the CPV is much better for the creator on these ads than on standard TrueView ads. The real bad things are those long ads that aren't interesting or badly targeted. With half of YouTube views coming from mobile now Adblock is become less of a problem every day.

Tl;dr Non skippable ads support the creator, and watching for 20 seconds is the least bit you can do to support those who make the content you enjoy.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube

I disagree entirely. I don't give a crap how much a person hates ads. It's 20 - 30 seconds for a 20 - 30 minute video. That is nothing. If someone decides to use ad block because of that, all well. It's there choice. But to blame it on non skippable ads make no sense.

Personally, I don't understand why so many people are even concerned with others using ad block. Youtube is hardly about the money anyway, at least not this early on into the game. Once your channel is actually worth the time and effort of a full time job, there are many ways you can earn money beside the ad revenue. Such as Patreon, selling merchandise .. etc.

Personally, if someone is watching my content, to me that is awesome. I don't care if they are using adblock. Nor am I going to blame them using ad block on those who use non skippable ads. That is just silly. People make their own choices.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I disagree entirely. I don't give a crap how much a person hates ads. It's 20 - 30 seconds for a 20 - 30 minute video.
This is from a YouTubers point of view, and it tends to be alot different than a viewer point of view.
The viewers point of view is "Oh geez another ad" regardless of the video length, and most are ignorant to the fact that there that all YouTube content creators get paid through such means.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
This is from a YouTubers point of view, and it tends to be alot different than a viewer point of view.
The viewers point of view is "Oh geez another ad" regardless of the video length, and most are ignorant to the fact that there that all YouTube content creators get paid through such means.

Not everyone thinks that way.

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube
hw do u become a partner with freedm to hav that purple tag
you got be member of freedom. make sure all info and YouTube channel right
http://freedom.support.tm/support/s...-do-i-get-the-partner-badge-the-purple-badge-

anyway. i was looking at random video on YouTube pay sub. everyone got there info wrong. some how they taking no ads = people dont make money. they total got it wrong. if anyone who thing that, pls read this post before posting video with wrong info. your miss leading people. if your 1 of them who miss lead people. i going lol when your total wrong and they still get pay...

Last edited:

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube
I can't wait for YouTube Red to come out! I like the watch time feature to earn money. The longer your video is watched, the more you make. So if people don't click your ad's, you don't have to worry no more because watch time is what will count towards what you earn.
aman too that. so is it true that all youtuber going have free ads for 1month? i wonder how people who put ads feel about that? LOL!!!

update!
did the free ads already start? i see no ads at all on youtube. everything look the same as before but no ads. youtube red start on Oct 28. who ever got google play music unlimited. let me know if this is true!

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanSellers