My Frustration with Youtube

MisterZer0Below

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 31, 2015
I have, in the past month or 2, have been really annoyed with the path Youtube has been going down. Youtube has been screwing over anyone with an original idea or anyone creative in general for years. Ever since the handed Youtube over to Google, creative channels have been replaced with the following.
  • Gaming channels that are just outright boring but somehow get hundreds/thousands of subscribers and views for doing the same thing as hundreds of other channels.
  • Vloggers with boring lives and no original content (Seriously, think about the creativity of filming yourself doing nothing).
  • Prank channels who confuse pranking with harassing people.
  • Reaction channels that steal original content.
Obviously there are exceptions to this, but for a small channel like mine who is actually trying to do something creative with Youtube. I'm an animator, I make original content that takes a month or more to make because I actually put effort into it. Nobody ever sees what I do though since daily uploads of CoD, CS:GO, Minecraft, or whatever other dead horse of a game gamers decide to beat drown it all out. Seriously, does anybody have any idea how to pull people past that content to watch something creative, or is Youtube just that shallow? Seriously, people have actually told me that they don't want to see something creative with a story on Youtube! And the company Youtube doesn't help either, they have a monetization system that supports this kind of repetitive content.

In summarization, I'm frustrated with Youtube for it's support of unoriginal content and metaphorical shunning of people who want to do something creative that takes time to make. I'm frustrated that content that I work hard to make gets 20 views while some kid (or grown adult) spends about 30 minutes recording him playing CoD gets 1,000+ views. There has to be a way to get my content out there past all of that. I need help, I need some way to get my content to people out there. I'm currently working on several animations, and I don't want the months I've spent on them to be a waste when I upload them.

So, if you have any advice to help this animator out, I'd be most appreciative if you would help me out.

Thank you.

Here's my channel. Subscribe for original content.
[link removed, -see forum rules]

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterZer0Below

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 31, 2015
Lol, channels like yours are the reason I'm frustrated. You're just another Minecraft channel, spamming your repetitive content into people's feeds so you're all they see. Original content takes time, my animations takes time. "Quality over quantity" and all that, right? The difference between our content is that I make mine from scratch, and work hard at it, so I'll sacrifice consitency for creativity.

Also, did you even look at my channel? Like, at all? Because one of us here isn't uploading at 1080p, and it ain't me.

You have no reason to criticize my content unless you can do it better. (y) (Y)

NannerAirCraft

Freedom! Member
Feb 15, 2015
YouTube
NannerManCan
Hey guys please don't fight each here on the forums. MisterZer0Below if you only upload once a month or two people will watch out of your video once then forget about it. That's why channels that post everyday day or few days get a lot of views. Also a lot of people like to watch gaming videos so they get a lot of views. Maybe there's something you can upload every week or so to keep people interested until the next animation comes out?

SergeantBallz

Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
YouTube
Im not attacking anyone but I kinda agree with otheres MisterZer0Below. Your animations are nice and since Im also an artist(I dont post my art on yt tho) I understand the struggle of animating and drawing but "quality over quantity" isnt over the best option. Now that may sound wrong but what I meant was you should "try" to maintain your quality but also upload more often. You should also try to make friends here on forums and maybe...well..ask for a shoutout? Im sure some would be happy to do so, and well I'll give you a shoutout in my next video if I remember. So the point is to make friends, because I've noticed that a lot of regional youtubers over here are mostly all friends and they help each other out, so I'll try to help you out hopefully in my next video. :)

MisterZer0Below

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 31, 2015
1st:
@NannerAirCraft, I work really hard on what I do, months of modeling, keyframing, and rendering go into my videos. My frustration is that it all seems for nothing because I constently see the same types of channels spam videos, preventing anything good (not just my channel, I'm not a narcissist) from being seen. My frustration is that creativity as a whole is such a massively undervalued thing on Youtube, including animation, due to the time it takes to create such creative content. I will work on finding a filler to upload in between animations, because to be frank, I was looking to do that anyways. So I do agree with you there.

@SergeantBallz When it comes to animation, or creativity on Youtube, "quality over quantity" is the case. If I just put out whatever animation I made in a week, my animations would be terrible. Possibly so much so that I would agree with what the 1st guy said (difference being that I would actually know what was uploaded). As for making friends on the forums, as an animator, that mainly means that I have to make them a banner or something (which I've done and have been completely screwed over for it). I understand what you mean, and I appreciate it, I truly do. Hell, if I can somehow find someone who uploads creative content and I struggling, I will do as you said. But Christ am I sick of making a banner or something for the slim chance of a shout out that actually does something other than get me 1 or 2 dead subscribers. Everyone says how the Freedom! family is great, but in my time here, I've just been constantly screwed over because I've pretty much assumed that selling my talents is the only way of getting anywhere. If I'm wrong to assume that, please, show me how to Youtube please. Lastly, as for shoutouts, I've gotten shoutouts before, some from relatively large Youtubers, and they've all resulted in my either getting nothing at all from it, dead subs, or other smaller Youtubers who post either nothing at all or gaming videos (surpise surprise) commenting on my videos asking me to make channel art for them, so while I won't stop you from shouting me out, I don't know what use it would do.

Thank you both for trying to help me, I truly appreciate the advice. I basically pulled from this that I need to make some content that doesn't take as long to fill the gap between animations.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and sorry if I seemed frustrated at the people who actually helped. I'm not, it's just... well... see the title of this thread.

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube
I have, in the past month or 2, have been really annoyed with the path Youtube has been going down. Youtube has been screwing over anyone with an original idea or anyone creative in general for years. Ever since the handed Youtube over to Google, creative channels have been replaced with the following.
  • Gaming channels that are just outright boring but somehow get hundreds/thousands of subscribers and views for doing the same thing as hundreds of other channels.
  • Vloggers with boring lives and no original content (Seriously, think about the creativity of filming yourself doing nothing).
  • Prank channels who confuse pranking with harassing people.
  • Reaction channels that steal original content.
Obviously there are exceptions to this, but for a small channel like mine who is actually trying to do something creative with Youtube. I'm an animator, I make original content that takes a month or more to make because I actually put effort into it. Nobody ever sees what I do though since daily uploads of CoD, CS:GO, Minecraft, or whatever other dead horse of a game gamers decide to beat drown it all out. Seriously, does anybody have any idea how to pull people past that content to watch something creative, or is Youtube just that shallow? Seriously, people have actually told me that they don't want to see something creative with a story on Youtube! And the company Youtube doesn't help either, they have a monetization system that supports this kind of repetitive content.

In summarization, I'm frustrated with Youtube for it's support of unoriginal content and metaphorical shunning of people who want to do something creative that takes time to make. I'm frustrated that content that I work hard to make gets 20 views while some kid (or grown adult) spends about 30 minutes recording him playing CoD gets 1,000+ views. There has to be a way to get my content out there past all of that. I need help, I need some way to get my content to people out there. I'm currently working on several animations, and I don't want the months I've spent on them to be a waste when I upload them.

So, if you have any advice to help this animator out, I'd be most appreciative if you would help me out.

Thank you.

Here's my channel. Subscribe for original content.
MisterZer0Below
People who watch the videos decide who is famous

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube
Well it's a bit hard for people to make a decision when most of the good stuff is buried under the bad stuff.
True very true, let's take my channel for example I try and share my content around yet no one cares to even give it a chance no one helps to share it. Everyone just wants to get promoted and don't help each other out, this is why it's buried

InnocentMusik

Musician and amateur composer/producer
Freedom! Member
Both of MisterZer0Below and CMTXRATED make really solid points. I want to put my two cents into this as well. I don't think it's really Google/YouTube's fault with the trend of gaming channels, vlogging channels and reaction channels. It's more of people's mentality of wanting quick and easy fame or that's what it seems. It doesn't help either when there's so many channels and videos on YouTube that make it hard to break through and go big. Hence the relatively large amount of people forcing themselves to spam comments to get subs and views. Not saying everyone is like that but it seems this is the trend.

I'm a YouTube Musician so I can understand how MisterZer0 feels. We, as artists, spend a lot of time creating our craft so naturally we can't upload daily like how gaming, vlogging and reaction channels can. However, monthly, biweekly or even weekly uploads, we can manage somehow. I spend roughly 2 weeks to learn, practice and record the pieces I do for my channel. Other relatively big YouTubers are like that too. SwooZie and Domics, both story tellers and animators, uploads whenever they have time - both got 1mil+ subscribers. Lee&Lie (or AmaLee) has been uploads monthly lately for her vocal covers and still got 600K subscribers. I heavily believe quality over quantity. People will stick around if they enjoy your content after swimming through the gunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Machi

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
From being in Freedom 2 years and checking out a lot of different channels progression, I'd say it's much easier for channels that create original content to grow and get views. Channels that are doing the same thing as 1000s of others are less likely to get people to watch as there is so much competition. The reason why so many people do it is because it's easy to get into and they enjoy doing it.

Animation is a very hard area to get into as you are up against professionals who have had years of experience. Also unlike gaming where most of the sounds and visuals are already created you have to make everything from scratch.