Tips & Tricks The Worst Thing You Can Do.

Darkovika

Lady Darkovika
Freedom! Member
Aug 14, 2014
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Darkovika
Giving Up.

I've technically been working at becoming a Youtuber for 5 years, and one of my biggest regrets is the three+ times I've quit.

When things got difficult and rough, and people were posting cruel things on my videos, or I didn't think I was good enough and I quit because I didn't have the same sub count or view count as bigger youtube channels- I quit, and I regret every single one of those times.

5 years ago, I was getting 200 views a video, sometimes up to 8,000. I have several early videos that were just out of control popular, but at the time, there were only a few youtubers to really compare myself to, and obviously I wasn't them. I didn't get cool comments because there was no sense of community at the time, and there was no one to emmulate. I had NO idea what I was doing half the time, or even what youtube could become. So I quit.

I could have been with Pewdiepie, I seriously could have, if I'd just rode that wave, but like everything else in my life at the time, I quit, and I failed automatically. Now, it's a lot harder- it's taken me 2 years of constant, normal editing and uploading to get about ~1500 subscribers. I'm almost at 3000. I've had so many chances to succeed and I threw every single one of them away, and I keep asking myself do I even get another?

So whatever you do, if you REALLY REALLY want this, DO NOT give up. Don't EVER apologize for your videos, don't EVER apologize for "not being good enough", and don't compare yourself to Pewdiepie or Markiplier. We aren't there yet, but I can promise you that if you just quit and turn off your channel, you definitely aren't going to get there. Turning it on, uploading, being consitant, editing- it's tough, risky, and you may not succeed. But at least this way, there's still a chance.

FreelancerYT

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 13, 2015
Finland
YouTube
That's indeed a good advice. I almost quitted before getting to Freedom family and now I have the power to continue. I'm not near as popular as some other youtubers doing same stuff that I do but I don't want to quit. I want to keep on going and going and post videos about stuff that interests me. We all should just do it because we can.

Darkovika

Lady Darkovika
Freedom! Member
Aug 14, 2014
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Darkovika
Good job guys ^_^ Remember, leaving a channel or starting over is just as harmful as returning to the same channel a year later. Hell I still have videos on my channel from 5 years ago, they're HILARIOUSLY bad, it's great.

Keep pushing forward. This is HARD. Youtube is not an easy job- it's the unforgiving kind, where everyone is given an opportunity to maybe become a celebrity, and that means everyone is fighting each other for it. The people highest up are so sick of being bombarded that they're not going to help any of us- and that means we're on our own.

My boyfriend gave me fantastic advice. He said the hardest thing I face is remembering that no, I'm not Pewdiepie, I'm not Markiplier. And by forcing myself to constantly watch them, I'm reminding myself that I'm not them, and that I'm not where they are. And I force myself to be them- which is not a good thing, because how can I become better than them or reach their level when I'm trying so hard just to be them?

Your channel should reflect your growth. People want to see that. WHen you have a channel, that's your start and your end. Work that thing. Have fun with it! And remember, this is a labor of love for at least 3 years. You will make next to no money, you will spend a LOT of money on equipment, and chances are, it'll be ages before you start reeling in consistant viewers. If you're a gamer like me, your views will NEVER match your sub count. Gaming views are strocious- I know usually most people get like, 1/3 of their sub count in views.

Not to mention the dangers. I don't think people realize how dangerous putting yourself on the internet can get- I actually had to call the cops once on an internet threat to me.

But if you want this, then don't give up, because with everything that could come of this, it's hard but worth it!

Reactions: FreelancerYT

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Giving up would be the cut-all end-all for your channel.
Many people don't want to see that happen, but sometimes we have no control over if we do or not, the brain just goes on a tour.

However, I believe some topics should be covered for the worst things you can do for an active channel.

Reactions: byyzeroh

Darkovika

Lady Darkovika
Freedom! Member
Aug 14, 2014
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Darkovika
Giving up would be the cut-all end-all for your channel.
Many people don't want to see that happen, but sometimes we have no control over if we do or not, the brain just goes on a tour.

However, I believe some topics should be covered for the worst things you can do for an active channel.

There are many things you can do that'll destroy your channel in the long run, and it all depends on your content. Some people thrive off of hate and negative attention- there's no such thing as bad publicity. But for people who want to be like Markiplier or Pewdiepie- I run a gaming channel- not communicating with your audience, playing games you don't actually like but will likely get you instant success- those types of things will earn you a poor community.

That's another huge one.

Also, starting videos with "Hey guys, sorry this video sucks" or "Hey guys, sorry i don't have amazing equipment." NOthing says "Don't watch my videos" like you apologizing for them!

I consider giving up to be the worst, however, because it is probably my biggest regret in my life. I can get by with shoddy livestreams of the most pixelated quality, and I can get by with videos edited in Windows Movie Maker. I can't get by if I give up. Like literally XDD

Machi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 13, 2015
YouTube
Hey thats a great topic :D why i haven't seen it yet?!

Darkovika, you bring me back some memories lol. I've been uploading music on youtube when I was (I think) too young to endure mean comments and to be honest I was scared to see that there actualy was people who watched my content. I think that when the number of subscribers grow so fast you can't follow your road if you're not prepared. Anyway... I just deleted everything!

It's quite normal to regret, but I'm happy you did, because if you didn't you never wrote this message, and we probably never talk.

Not sure if it makes sense .___.

Darkovika

Lady Darkovika
Freedom! Member
Aug 14, 2014
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Darkovika
Hey thats a great topic :D why i haven't seen it yet?!

Darkovika, you bring me back some memories lol. I've been uploading music on youtube when I was (I think) too young to endure mean comments and to be honest I was scared to see that there actualy was people who watched my content. I think that when the number of subscribers grow so fast you can't follow your road if you're not prepared. Anyway... I just deleted everything!

It's quite normal to regret, but I'm happy you did, because if you didn't you never wrote this message, and we probably never talk.

Not sure if it makes sense .___.

It does, and I totally agree! Mentally, 5 years ago, I wasn't ready for the perils of youtube. I definitely don't think I could have survived the same hate and subscriber boom individuals like Pewdiepie and Markiplier faced. I don't think I mentioned this above, but 3-4 years ago I actually released Hey Yogscast, which the Yogscast uploaded to their channel complete with an animation. At this point, the original song has around six million views. That's where I got my first 1000 subscribers.

Trust me, I got a LOT of hate for the first few hours. People telling me to commit suicide, telling me I couldn't sing, what was I thinking, I was brave to think of showing the world how terrible I was. The protective and loving comments came much later, but I'll always remember those first comments. They weren't why I quit- in fact, I responded with so much kindness and altruism I converted half of them to good people- but it was the "lack" of discernible response on my channel. I gained 1000 subs, but the view count didn't really alter. I was still getting 50-150 views a video, which is still better than what I got when I returned 2 years ago.

Basically, I didn't grow as fast as I thought, and since I didn't get famous over night, I gave up. I wasn't ready for the grind. I am now, but I have my doubt-filled moments sometimes. Will I continue growing?

I hit 3000 recently during a livestream, so that's been a huge boost to my self esteem, but I know that my doubts will return in time. It's a scary, difficult journey.

Reactions: Machi